Options

Is it Orton enough?

senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited September 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've had a blast trying motion and movement and color based abstracts for this challenge but I think I'm going back to my old favorite style Orton blur for my entry. I have a shot I like well enough but I'm not really sure if the Orton is strong enough to be a good representation. Many of mine use subtle Orton effects and this may be one of them. What do y'all think? Is it enough to fit the theme?

EphemeralWaterfallsOrtonFinal-L.jpg

Here's the original for comaparison.
EWAfterLR-L.jpg
Jay

Comments

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    I don't see an effect that is luminous enough for the theme. Although it is there, it doesn't seem strong enough. Just my 2 cents.

Remember that if you like it and it fits for you, then you should enter it.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    It is a lovely shot but I agree with Chris that the effect may not be strong enough to say "Orton effect" except for the context of this challenge. I see the saturation and the softness but it might benefit from more contrast and/or luminosity. I'm offering this observation as a rank amateur when it comes to the Orton effect though. Wishing you all the best with it!
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I agree... while it's a lovely shot... I'm just not really getting the Orton feel from this.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    I hate to say it Jay, but I agree with the other posters here. It is a great shot though.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    Thanks everybody. That's what I was afraid of. It's too bad, because I like the shot, but I couldn't make it look nice with any more Orton than this.
    Jay
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    Did you shoot it RAW & use CNX?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.