Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #86 (Open - Monotone) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #86

Welcome to Round #86 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, September 19th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, October 3rd, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Open - Monotone

This round the theme is wide open for you to decide what you would like to photograph. The only stipulation is you must submit your entry in either Black and White neutral tones or monotoned also known as monochrome.

There are no editing restrictions in this round except monotone must be used.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    So it can be any color as long as its Black or white... or grey? :D
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    So it can be any color as long as its Black or white... or grey? :D

Is it a model T?
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Wish I had a model T to photograph :D would have looked great in B&W
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Sean, I've put a note on my entry that says best viewed in the larger sizes. Are you cool with that? If not, let me know and I'll kill it off. I just like the way it looks full view.
  • Options
    Froch wrote: »
    Sean, I've put a note on my entry that says best viewed in the larger sizes. Are you cool with that? If not, let me know and I'll kill it off. I just like the way it looks full view.

Bigger is better in most cases. Today I'm tired but in a good mood so... thumb.gif
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    Another great challenge theme Sean! Black and white is where I usually go when a photo isn't quite right in an attempt to see if B&W makes it better. This is probably the first time I've gone out to purposely take a shot in monochrome. Thanks to the challenges for always getting us out of our comfort zones! clap.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Since sepia and other (mono) tones can qualify as monochrome, I assume that is OK.
  • Options
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Since sepia and other (mono) tones can qualify as monochrome, I assume that is OK.

If sepia was excluded I would have all the sepia lovers sending me nasty notes on crumpled brown paper.

Yes it is OK mwink.gif
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    sherstone wrote: »
    If sepia was excluded I would have all the sepia lovers sending me nasty notes on crumpled brown paper.

Yes it is OK mwink.gif

LMAO!! rolleyes1.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    and you all should know me by now...I do not stick with traditional of b/w or sepia! Singing the blues and lovin' it! :D
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    Perhaps a silly question but...

In this case, does 'monotone' refer to a way of processing or can I shoot things that are just one color? For example, can I shoot a lemon on a yellow background and have it considered monotone? Or do I need to shoot something and then process out all of the colors except yellow?

Does monotone refer to one color (a la yellow with some black or white in the photo) or can it only be shades of yellow, in that case?

So basically, does monotone refer to processing or outcome?

Thanks,
    Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    Not a silly question.

Originally my intent was to either shoot in camera as monotone or to process as monotone.
    Your question is a good one though and I am not against being creative with the interpretation. In the end it is the votes that will tell you one way or another if your idea of monotone was acceptable.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    So, perhaps I should now pick up my own gauntlet and make this double challenging for myself. Thanks.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I LOVE this challenge gallery! I love all the photos, great job photogs!
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Somehow I stripped some of the exif when I uploaded. I added link back to original for exif, haven't entered in awhile is that still ok?
    Thanks and excited to be back around the forum!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    I added link back to original for exif, haven't entered in awhile is that still ok?

Yes that is still an acceptable way of representing the EXIF information, which lets me know when the photo was taken. Thank you for checking and welcome back!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Thanks for another great challenge, Sean! I really pushed my boundaries with monotone.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    You are very welcome! Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it.