5D Mk2 change photograph size?

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all
I have been asked to photograph my first wedding and the bride and groom chose 10 by 10 photograph sizes for their wedding album. The reason being that the album they chose comes in this format. One of the members of a camera club i am in told me that i can change settings in my 5Dmk2 so that when i look through the view finder i can see the dimentions of 10 by 10. Is this true and where in the menu system do i go to do this?

Kind regards
Patrick.:D

Comments

• rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    hmmm.. never heard of this, i am interested in the answer as well.. :)
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    I should have added that the person who told this is a Nikon user and this could stem from their camera system. I opened one of my images in cs5 and cropped to 10 by 10. This was to give me an idea of what to leave out in the viewfinder when i am working at the wedding on the day.
    Kind regards
    Patrick:D
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    One of the members of a camera club i am in told me that i can change settings in my 5Dmk2 so that when i look through the view finder i can see the dimentions of 10 by 10. Is this true ....?
    Kind regards

No. Live view has two grids to choose from. And Canon sells focusing screens with a grid. Neither are for 10x10 exclusively.
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Hi all
    I have been asked to photograph my first wedding and the bride and groom chose 10 by 10 photograph sizes for their wedding album. The reason being that the album they chose comes in this format. One of the members of a camera club i am in told me that i can change settings in my 5Dmk2 so that when i look through the view finder i can see the dimentions of 10 by 10. Is this true and where in the menu system do i go to do this?

Kind regards

You friend is in error. While some new cameras have a configurable viewfinder overlay, the Canon 5D MKII uses replaceable viewfinder screens.

Your 5D MKII comes with the "Eg-A Standard Precision Matte" screen as standard. In your situation you might consider getting a second identical screen and then use a permanent marker/pen to place some guide marks directly onto the second screen. This is easy for a square format. Just put the marks the same width as the visible height of the screen, and centered in the frame.

There are 2 - optional screens available for the 5D MKII:

Eg-D Precision Matte with grid
    - A more matte finish, easier manual focusing with a grid pattern.

Eg-S Super Precision Matte
    - An even more matte screen, but obviously slightly darker, optimized for F2.8 and faster lenses.

I don't view either of these as appropriate for your use. I still highly recommend another Eg-A focusing screen, marked for square format.

I would advise caution that the square format for an entire wedding is a bit odd, and you should include a comment in the contract indicating the request. I would bet that as the bride and groom see the proofs they will try to change their minds. An entire wedding album in square format would just be fairly boring, in my opinion.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You friend is in error. While some new cameras have a configurable viewfinder overlay, the Canon 5D MKII uses replaceable viewfinder screens.

Your 5D MKII comes with the "Eg-A Standard Precision Matte" screen as standard. In your situation you might consider getting a second identical screen and then use a permanent marker/pen to place some guide marks directly onto the second screen. This is easy for a square format. Just put the marks the same width as the visible height of the screen, and centered in the frame.

• Eg-D Precision Matte with grid
    • - A more matte finish, easier manual focusing with a grid pattern.
      [ ]
    • Eg-S Super Precision Matte
    • - An even more matte screen, but obviously slightly darker, optimized for F2.8 and faster lenses.
    I don't view either of these as appropriate for your use. I still highly recommend another Eg-A focusing screen, marked for square format.

I would advise caution to make sure that the square format for an entire wedding is a bit odd, and you should include a comment in the contract indicating the request. I would bet that as the bride and groom see the proofs they will try to change their minds. An entire wedding album in square format would just be fairly boring, in my opinion.
    Hi Ziggy53
    The fact that 10 by 10 will look boring is true. I have to phone the bride tonight and will raise this concern with her. Emailing her with 2 pictures one cropped to these dimentions and another full one should show the difference.
    The focusing screens that you talk of i presume are just clear sticky plastic for the back lcd screen of the camera. I dont want to go down that road as i feel that the battery use will run down that bit quicker using live view. If i have that corrrect?
    There are 300 epople invited to the wedding and the area around the altar is very small. I am looking at buying a canon 24-70 f2.8 not far from where i live for €850. It is a 2009 model and i hope that this along with my 50mm f1.8 on my Canon 40D will be suffice for the day.
    Kind regards
    Patrick:D
    The focusing screen is part of the optical viewfinder system. The screen itself is inside the camera, located at the top of the shutter box.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590409-REG/Canon_3356B001_Eg_D_Precision_Matte_Focusing.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590458-REG/Canon_3357B001_Eg_S_Super_Precision_Matte.html

Here is a link to the basic process in replacing a screen:

http://youtu.be/szFOsQ4pGWo
    ziggy53
    A 10" x 10" photo album allows the placement of 8" x 10" crops in either orientation, landscape or portrait. You may also have multiple smaller format prints on a page, as appropriate. That's the reasoning behind that size album, not that you need to use square format prints on the pages.
    ziggy53

Eg-D Precision Matte with grid
    - A more matte finish, easier manual focusing with a grid pattern.

Eg-S Super Precision Matte
    - An even more matte screen, but obviously slightly darker, optimized for F2.8 and faster lenses.

I would advise caution that the square format for an entire wedding is a bit odd, and you should include a comment in the contract indicating the request. I would bet that as the bride and groom see the proofs they will try to change their minds. An entire wedding album in square format would just be fairly boring, in my opinion.
    The focusing screen is part of the optical viewfinder system. The screen itself is inside the camera, located at the top of the shutter box.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590409-REG/Canon_3356B001_Eg_D_Precision_Matte_Focusing.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590458-REG/Canon_3357B001_Eg_S_Super_Precision_Matte.html

Here is a link to the basic process in replacing a screen:

http://youtu.be/szFOsQ4pGWo

It seems a bit much. I think i am going to have a talk with the bride.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Basically shoot the wedding the way you normally would. Take some images on the wide side for cropping. If you are providing a DVD and / or prints you can keep the original 2X3 ratio for this. You only crop the images for the album. With the 5D II you have plenty of pixels to work with so cropping to 10X10 is not a technical issue. Also you don't have to make every page one 10X10 image you can create a page with multiple images with each image at what ever ratio you like as long as the over all collage isn't larger than 10X10.

As an example you have image #5273 with couple at the alter. You include the image on the DVD using the original 2X3 ratio. When preparing the album you take image #5273 and crop it to 10X10 for the album.

I hope I am explaining this well.

Sam
    Sam wrote: »
    Basically shoot the wedding the way you normally would. Take some images on the wide side for cropping. If you are providing a DVD and / or prints you can keep the original 2X3 ratio for this. You only crop the images for the album. With the 5D II you have plenty of pixels to work with so cropping to 10X10 is not a technical issue. Also you don't have to make every page one 10X10 image you can create a page with multiple images with each image at what ever ratio you like as long as the over all collage isn't larger than 10X10.

As an example you have image #5273 with couple at the alter. You include the image on the DVD using the original 2X3 ratio. When preparing the album you take image #5273 and crop it to 10X10 for the album.

I hope I am explaining this well.

Sam

Hi Sam
    good to hear from you again. Hope all is well on your end of the pond. The album that the couple chose are printed by a company here in Ireland. They could have opted for other albums but this was the cheapest with 10 by 10 prints. Here is a link if it works let me know.
    http://www.handimaging.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=482
    Kind Regards
    Patrick