Some roller derby action - C&C

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited September 24, 2011 in Sports
Got to shoot another roller derby this past weekend, got thrown a curveball when I first showed up: only about half the ceiling lights at the rink were turned on, and the ones directly over the center of the track were all off. Had to run around before the game started trying to find the maintenance guy to turn the rest of them on, but he came through and turned them on before the game actually started.

I think I'm improving at this, but still manage to screw up often enough (I clipped the bottom of the girls skates off in a few shots, just looks stupid to see part of a skate and no wheels) but anyways, here's some to talk about.

1)
i-LWPr5SN-L.jpg

2)
i-2TmfMGb-L.jpg

3)
i-H7zw5fq-L.jpg

4)This is what I really need to stop doing... I almost really liked this shot but I cut their feet off
i-tbxvdrn-L.jpg

5)Too soft on their faces?
i-rhXpGLF-L.jpg

Comments

• JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Your work is getting much better. Don't worry about cutting off feet. The first two are the best, crop the others in tighter. Yep, last one is too soft.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Good stuff. Nice and tight. I wouldn't sweat the feet TOO much. If the overall shot is real tight, you don't need them. If it's a wider shot though, you'd be better off not cutting them off.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess what bugs me about cutting the feet off in #4 is I totally could have gotten them in there, there was dead space at the top of the frame I cropped off. But, the girls loved the shots anyways and want me back at their next game in 3 weeks so it's all good I suppose.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    Good work, roller derby is tough

Your exposures are+++
    Rags
  • AKFossilAKFossil Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Been trying my luck at roller derby, its a challenge as depending on the players anticipating the shot is tough because girls fly everywhere after a hit.

I Love the first 2 shots. thumb.gif
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    Yea Fossil, I've noticed the thing to look for is when a girl dips one shoulder down a lot lower than the other she's usually priming to hit someone on that side so I'll try to lock on to her. Also, I've shot a few bouts for Skyland (purple jerseys) and I've learned which girls on the team like to hit more than others so if the jammers aren't near the pack at the moment, I try to follow them.