The World's Smallest Camera.

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
edited October 11, 2011 in Cameras
From HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER. They claim this is the worlds smallest digital camera, and it would seem so. From the site:

81584?wid=800&op_sharpen=0&qlt=80,1

"This is the world's smallest digital camera, measuring just over one inch in all dimensions and weighing only half an ounce. Reminiscent of devices employed by Cold War-era operatives for intelligence gathering, the camera appears to require Lilliputian agility, yet its one-button operation provides easy picture taking. Providing automatic focus, it uses a 2 MP image sensor that takes still images at 1600 x 1200 resolution and captures video at 30 fps at 640 x 480 resolution. Images are taken as JPEGs and videos as AVIs, both saved onto an included 2 GB microSD card (supports up to 32 GB cards). Images and video can be viewed when connecting it to a computer running Windows 7, XP, or Vista using the included USB 2.0 cable. Rechargeable battery provides up to 30 minutes of operation from a one-hour charge via USB. Includes wrist lanyard. 1 1/8" L x 1" W x 1 1/16" D. (1/2 oz.)"

What, no RAW? :D
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited September 20, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What, no RAW? :D

Firmware hack? And I'm guessing the auto focusing feature is because of the lilliputian ~1.3mm lens. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    I want one.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    That's really neat .. I'd have fun with something like that.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I'd want to take the shell off and put the innards inside a hollowed out 9 volt battery or dead Li-ion cell

"Why are you clicking your battery?"
    edited October 1, 2011
    I'm thinking it could benefit from one of Richard Franiec's accessory grips, since there is currently little room to grip it properly from the side.
    My Smugmug
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Nice, I went to the web site were this camera is listed, it is being sold for $100. This people specialized in unusual items. Their prices are no very cheap, I saw some items that I can buy locally for at least 25% less.

Out of curiosity I checked the Minox web site, you can by the digital Minox including a separated flash unit for $200 in B & H

In case any one is interested.

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
    edited October 4, 2011
    Too small and it'll be too easy to lose. Fun toy, though. The newest cam in the iPhone 4S looks to be spectacular and is just one small part of a phone. I think the days of point and shoots are growing shorter.
    My Smugmug
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I too agreed that, with the advances of cameras in the phones, the life of the P&S is getting shorter by the day.

What I am noticing is that, eventually, DSLR and movie cameras may become one and he same, that single use still cameras and movie cameras will be relegated to those professional that needs that type of equipment and, most likely, will be very specialized and will cost lot of $$$$.

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
    edited October 5, 2011
    Is this Hammacher Schlemmer brand? Or do they only sell products made by other manufacturers? Anyone seen this anywhere else?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 5, 2011
    Is this Hammacher Schlemmer brand? Or do they only sell products made by other manufacturers? Anyone seen this anywhere else?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/18/mame-cam-thankos-cute-micro-camera/

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/audio-visual/camera/kawaii-fun-hello-kitty/chobi-cam-one-hd.html
    ziggy53
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 5, 2011
    Another similar camera. Not quite so small, but more affordable. (It too probably takes very poor photographs.)

31wYBtQcO1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fuuvi-Pick-Camera-Black/dp/B0057P1O3U
    ziggy53
    edited October 5, 2011
    Thanks for the links, Ziggy. All my googling for sample images has given me one site that says it has sample images. The links are broken.

It looks like we have a new market emerging here: MF > DSLRs > mirrorless > P&S > mini spy cameras. When will Nikon and Canon enter?rolleyes1.gif

I'm not gonna get one. The deal breaker for me is the "no tripod included."
    edited October 6, 2011
    Another USB camera, but this time - no actual camera.
    http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camera-usb/
    My Smugmug
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    First -- Ziggy, thanks for the fun post!
    David_S85 wrote: »
    The newest cam in the iPhone 4S looks to be spectacular and is just one small part of a phone. I think the days of point and shoots are growing shorter.
    Yeah, but -- a point-and-shoot doesn't come with an ongoing $45+ per month price tag, like an iPhone does.

A friend wanted to give me (free) a new iPhone, but I couldn't accept it because it would have cost me $45 per month more (at a minimum), than my current cell phone. That's $540 per year! As nice as it would be to gain anywhere access to data, email, and web access (plus integration with our home Macs), it isn't worth $45/mo to me. And it sure isn't worth $45/mo to have a camera in my pocket all the time.

It's too bad that cell phone network providers won't let you buy an iPhone and get voice-only (or voice plus small texting plan) service, like you can with many other phones, even smartphones. ...But I'll grant that, without a data plan, an iPhone is overkill (except perhaps for its always-with-you, decent camera).

So while the market for P&S cameras may be leveling off -- and may even be starting to decline (I haven't seen the unit-shipment numbers) -- IMHO we're not yet at the end of the line for P&S cameras yet. (Except maybe for the twentysomething set who think that they are entitled to, and can't live without, absolute 24x7 Internet, text, and tweet access, even if they have to skip a rent payment now and then mwink.gif)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited October 9, 2011
    photobug wrote: »
    A friend wanted to give me (free) a new iPhone, but I couldn't accept it because it would have cost me $45 per month more (at a minimum), than my current cell phone. That's $540 per year!

What makes it $395/month in the first place?

:jawdrop

Our family has infinite data/text/calls for ~$270/mo for 5 lines
    edited October 9, 2011
    First -- Ziggy, thanks for the fun post!

Yeah, but -- a point-and-shoot doesn't come with an ongoing $45+ per month price tag, like an iPhone does.

A friend wanted to give me (free) a new iPhone, but I couldn't accept it because it would have cost me $45 per month more (at a minimum), than my current cell phone. That's $540 per year! As nice as it would be to gain anywhere access to data, email, and web access (plus integration with our home Macs), it isn't worth $45/mo to me. And it sure isn't worth $45/mo to have a camera in my pocket all the time.

It's too bad that cell phone network providers won't let you buy an iPhone and get voice-only (or voice plus small texting plan) service, like you can with many other phones, even smartphones. ...But I'll grant that, without a data plan, an iPhone is overkill (except perhaps for its always-with-you, decent camera).

So while the market for P&S cameras may be leveling off -- and may even be starting to decline (I haven't seen the unit-shipment numbers) -- IMHO we're not yet at the end of the line for P&S cameras yet. (Except maybe for the twentysomething set who think that they are entitled to, and can't live without, absolute 24x7 Internet, text, and tweet access, even if they have to skip a rent payment now and then mwink.gif)

Yes, but there are SO many people who already have an iPhone. They pay the $70/month or whatever it is. And they don't need a P&S because of their iPhone camera. It's not just the 20-something crowd - the iPhone market is everyone from kids to older adults. There are so many people out there that have an iPhone - and the P&S market is losing them. And I suspect that the quality of the iPhone camera will make its way into cheaper cell phones with cheaper plans. After all, they have to compete with the iPhone, and the camera is part of that. Soon, very few people are going to say, "I want a camera better than the one in my phone."

Also, keep in mind the advantages of the iPhone (or any cell phone) camera over most P&S cameras. Photos you take are a few touches away from FB, twitter, email, etc. No memory cards, no computers, just push a few buttons on the screen of the camera (phone). Besides, the camera in your phone is there anyway - it's not an extra gadget to put in your pocket and carry around.

I think P&S manufacturers need to do something about this. Give the cameras wifi, direct upload to your FB or twitter account, email, etc. Even these steps won't stop the iPhone camera from taking over the market.
    edited October 9, 2011
    What makes it $395/month in the first place?
    Our family has infinite data/text/calls for ~$270/mo for 5 lines
    Eh? $395? I said that an iPhone would drive my family's cell bill up by $45 per month, which is $540 extra per year. The $45/mo increase is about evenly split between $15/mo to add a minimal required data plan, $15/mo for a required change in calling plan, and $15/mo for a required increase in texting plan. We currently pay about $70/month for 3 lines, and swapping out just one of them for an iPhone would jump our bill up by about $45/mo, for a total of $110/mo, which is a total deal-breaker.

Your family spends over $3000 per year on cell phone service? Unbelievable ... in our house, the phones would all get tossed in the round file long before that happened; no one needs them that badly. But then, those who don't have a California mortgage probably have a LOT more disposable income ;-).
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited October 9, 2011
    Yes, but there are SO many people who already have an iPhone. ... And they don't need a P&S because of their iPhone camera.
    I agree -- if you already have an iPhone, then you could certainly dispense with owning a P&S camera nowadays. A P&S camera would be redundant.

It's not just the 20-something crowd - the iPhone market is everyone from kids to older adults.
    My comment about twentysomethings wasn't really iPhone-specific, it was that that seems to be the group that thinks a smartphone (e.g. an iPhone) is an entitlement, an absolute necessity for daily life. I may think that's a warped set of priorities ... but then me thinking that a Mac (or PC) and Internet access at home is a necessity may well be considered a "warped priority" by those in senior generations. Maybe that's just a sign of the times, how things are changing.

edited October 10, 2011
    Eh? $395? I said that an iPhone would drive my family's cell bill up by $45 per month, which is $540 extra per year. The $45/mo increase is about evenly split between $15/mo to add a minimal required data plan, $15/mo for a required change in calling plan, and $15/mo for a required increase in texting plan. We currently pay about $70/month for 3 lines, and swapping out just one of them for an iPhone would jump our bill up by about $45/mo, for a total of $110/mo, which is a total deal-breaker.

Your family spends over $3000 per year on cell phone service? Unbelievable ... in our house, the phones would all get tossed in the round file long before that happened; no one needs them that badly. But then, those who don't have a California mortgage probably have a LOT more disposable income ;-).

I read $540/month, not year, for some reason headscratch.gif

These phones are basically our main lines and are miniature computers with unlimited internet access... if we wanted just phones we wouldn't be paying this much :D The convenience is worth the ~$50/mo per line to us (I cant remember what the exact # is my math brain is out the window at the moment)
    I agree -- if you already have an iPhone, then you could certainly dispense with owning a P&S camera nowadays. A P&S camera would be redundant.

As long as what you're shooting requires a super wide angle lens every time... personally I'd still take a P&S camera over any cellphone camera... except maybe the nokia n8
    edited October 10, 2011
    The new Sprint plan with 4S is something like $2,399 for 2 years. Yikes! And I thought Cable was expensive. That would buy a good P&S for every finger on both hands.
    My Smugmug
    edited October 11, 2011
    The new Sprint plan with 4S is something like $2,399 for 2 years.

Well, I'm glad they're giving Sprint the chance to do the iPhone thing. Sprint's really underrated, IMHO.
    Yikes! And I thought Cable was expensive. That would buy a good P&S for every finger on both hands.

Or, a nice L mwink.gif