700or3sor700or3s

WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited September 23, 2011 in Cameras
Hello fellow shooters. Been lurking for a while now but with the big announcement or lack there of :scratch
I am getting impatient.
Mirrorless..really..:huh
Now on another tab I have the http://www.iamcomings.com/ yellow countdown page running..how pathetic is that :rolleyes
I have all the specs for both D700 and D3s..and looked them all over with a microscope. Thats not the issue, they are both great for sure. At this stage I don't deserve either much less the newest and greatest..that's not here yet.
But what I don't want to do is buy a camera (or anything) and then a week later find it discontinued. :bluduh
I just want what I want right now..you know just like every customer :rolleyes
Thanks for the vent.
Gary

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Discontinued or not, I wouldn't worry about the D700 becoming un-serviceable any time soon, let alone "obsolete". Buy whatever you think is best suited for what you want to do / learn, and don't look back. Of course it's not that easy to decide; for example I'd certainly rather have a D700 and a few great leneses, than a D3s and just one good / decent lens...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    Matt,
    Thanks for the reply.
    for example I'd certainly rather have a D700 and a few great leneses, than a D3s and just one good / decent lens...
    That was the last thought that went through my mind late last night as my finger was hovering above the "add to cart?" button for a D3s rolleyes1.gif
    Not worried that it will be obsolete..but a little worried that they are is such short supply and have been for a while now.
    Being in the machining business I can tell you the natural disasters in Japan are way worse that they let on. Machine tools are in very short supply.
    And so we wait...:bluduh
    Gary
    A company that I have bought through many times got -1- D700 in today.
    So I put together a decent little order to see if there might be any discounts. A 70-200mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, and a slew of "stuff" to go with.
    No budge..not even a penny. eek7.gif
    I hate buying stuff everybody else wants rolleyes1.gif
    Gary
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    A company that I have bought through many times got -1- D700 in today.
    So I put together a decent little order to see if there might be any discounts. A 70-200mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, and a slew of "stuff" to go with.
    No budge..not even a penny. eek7.gif
    I hate buying stuff everybody else wants rolleyes1.gif
    Gary
    Yeah, that's the problem these days... Simply FINDING the stuff you want! Personally I got lucky, I found a used D700 for just $1900 through a friend. Hopefully, I'll pay even less for my 2nd D700 as soon as I can afford one. I guess when all else fails, Ebay?

=Matt=
    Matt,
    With just a little detective work I have shaved off almost $500 by going elsewhere for both of the lenses. If the original company still has it in the morning its mine mwink.gif
    I didn't expect to get a discount on the body. Ebay...wow that place scares me. A little like a strip club..I like to look, but no touching rolleyes1.gif
    I love a deal, but there is something about getting equipment from a dead reliable company..warm and fuzzy. :sweet
    I wanted to wait to see what the latest and greatest was going to be..but I am ready to get back to good photography wings.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
    edited September 22, 2011
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    Matt,
    With just a little detective work I have shaved off almost $500 by going elsewhere for both of the lenses. If the original company still has it in the morning its mine mwink.gif
    I didn't expect to get a discount on the body. Ebay...wow that place scares me. A little like a strip club..I like to look, but no touching rolleyes1.gif
    I love a deal, but there is something about getting equipment from a dead reliable company..warm and fuzzy. :sweet
    I wanted to wait to see what the latest and greatest was going to be..but I am ready to get back to good photography wings.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Yeah, I don't expect we'll see a D700 replacement before next summer / fall, at the earliest. :-(

=Matt=
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Yeah, I don't expect we'll see a D700 replacement before next summer / fall, at the earliest. :-(

=Matt=
    Thank you, Nikon, for saving me from myself :D. At least for a while . . .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    Thank you, Nikon, for saving me from myself :D. At least for a while . . .
    Yes that is true because I dang sure don't have any self control. deal.gif

I went back that same night (crutchfield) looking at lenses and and noticed at the top of the page "there are 4 advisers waiting for your call" eek7.gif
    I realized that one D700 wasn't going to last the night. So I jumped and locked it up. mwink.gif
    But they couldn't take any payment except CC and I had just ordered about 5k lbs of aluminum that afternoon...no room left on that smoking hunk of plastic.

So next day I got a hold of JR.com (I have dealt with both of these many times in the past) They would do a wire transfer for the lenses I wanted..and even came down to below the cheapest prices I had found bowdown.gif

So long story short, I am back in the game..and broke at the same time mwink.gif
    Let the finger pointing and laughter begin. :haha
    Gary
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    I take 5 pictures with my d700 for every one I take with my d3. Love the d700.
    Yes a d700 with the d3s sensor would be better but only for a very small percentage of my shots.

D700 FTW. Good call!
    Zoomer,
    Thanks for the feed back! I am stoked to back and serious about shooting again.
    Last time I had 3 F3's ..and I bought film from a refrigerator..:haha

So in between part runs today I checked B&H for a copy of Lighroom 3. While I was looking around there I checked to see if they had gotten any D700's in as they had none up to that point. Not only did they have one but you got $100 off of Lighroom 3..:pissed
    I guess I showed them..

Gary