1.Avocets Landscape
i-x8Stk6L-L.jpg

2. Avocets Portrait
i-Wzc3bQ4-L.jpg

3. San Francisco view
i-Ks2s7qM-L.jpg

4. Golden Gate Bridge
i-GZj3V2R-L.jpg

5. Abstract Reflection, left overs from the last challenge could not help myself.
i-wRmGNrm-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Three, definitely, but if there was less noise in the sky.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    Wow! My favorites are #3 and #4 but I also like #1. The eye takes awhile to settle with #3 because there is so much in that shot, but that is partly what makes it so intriguing. I like both shots of the avocets but prefer #1 because of seeing both reflected in the water and more emphasis on the ripples around them.

For me, #4 is the easiest to contemplate with plenty of details to take in - the bridge with its miniature cars and trucks, the fog only partially obscuring the scene, and the two boats with their wakes. A different crop on #3 might change my preferences but again, my response overall is "wow"!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    #3 and 4 definitelyclap.gif Wow!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    Thank you for the replies.
    It was a good day for San Francisco yesterday. The headlands were crawlling with photogs. Talked to a few that said they had left work to come up to shoot. I was lucky that day to have a service call there. Wish I could have waited to seen the sunset.
    Again Thank you for the feedback
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Put me down for #3 also! Spectacular clouds!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Of the SF shots, I like 3, trading the positive of more city skyline (3), for the positive of boat (ship?) wakes in 4.

Of the bird shots, I'm going against the grain and picking #1 because I'm a fan of things in threes more than fours (or odd numbers vs. even). The comp of #1 (with one reflection hidden by the foreground bird) works as a group of three.

I'd like to see #2 with some different tonal priorities, though - perhaps lightening the tones in the water.

Strong images overall!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I like #1 and #4...I'm trading the skyline for the boat wakes (sorry, Bill!). To my eye, #4 is a less complicated picture (less going on) which draws my attention to line and shape. Both 1 and 4 have compositions that appeal to me. I do think that it would be great, if you have the software to do it, if the noise in the sky of #4 could be softened a bit. Overall, though, great shots!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    ... (sorry, Bill!)...

That's why this is such a cool place. Plenty of room for interpretation and personal taste. In the end the photographer makes the choice, hopefully based on their own aesthetic preference.

In relooking at the two SF shots, I'm suddenly less convinced the skyline is critical... as a matter of fact, it may be a bit of a distraction. Ask me again in finve minutes if you don't like my current opinion. Sigh.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    It is always hard to choose I liked the skyline shot but it was so busy. I reworked 4 which was one I was leaning towards 4 for the tonal range
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Yep. I definitely like $4 as well. I think you've already submitted it into the gallery, if you have, good. It should be strong as is. :)
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I'm with MrP. I love the crisp view of the cars on the bridge. From the outset ,this was one of my favorites.