What I can do & Cannot ....

harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 22, 2011 in Cameras
Hi All Experts,

I have following Olympus Kit, please let me know what I can do with it, what is that possible which I have never tested before.

Olympus E520 10MP
14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Lens
40-150mm f / 4.0-5.6 ED Zuiko Digital Lens

http://www.harish-agawane.com/

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Well, we don't know what you've tested and what you haven't tested. We don't know what you want to do either. That camera is fine for many purposes... I think it might not do too well in sports, or low light. For most casual shooting, it should do fine. Tell us what you want to do/can do.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    ... That camera is fine for many purposes... I think it might not do too well in sports, or low light. For most casual shooting, it should do fine. Tell us what you want to do/can do.

15524779-Ti.gif The Olympus E-520 is fine for general photography. Better lenses will yield better results, but better lighting will give potentially give better results with the lenses you have. (Mostly I mean the use of an external flash and appropriate flash modifiers.)

I very much agree that the AF is not fast enough for many sports, especially in low-light situations. ISOs higher than ISO 800 may give too much visible noise to be very useful for many subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    well soon going to shoot wedding, god knows what going to happen ...
  • harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    Ziggy what you said it is right, I do have face problem in low light, one more thing I am not able to make picture more colorful as I don't do any post production (Photoshop) ....
    well soon going to shoot wedding, god knows what going to happen ...

I "strongly" suggest the use of a capable flash, like the FL-36 or FL-50, for example. Also add a suitable flash modifier, at least a bounce card, for indoor applications. This is the single biggest improvement you can make to your system and image quality.

If you intend to purchase a more recent Olympus body then the more recent FL-36R or FL-50R might be indicated, as that gives you a wireless flash capability for off-camera flash use. This can ve especially handy with an Olympus body which has wireless support built-in, like the E-620 camera body.
    ziggy53
    Ziggy what you said it is right, I do have face problem in low light, one more thing I am not able to make picture more colorful as I don't do any post production (Photoshop) ....

Shoot to RAW files and use RAWTherapee (free) to process.

http://rawtherapee.com/

For the "candids", non-posed or casual images, the Olympus JPGs may be OK, if you get the lighting right.

Start exploring here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
    ziggy53