Bandon Beach

Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited September 28, 2011 in Landscapes
#1 This was my first trip to Bandon Beach, I have seen many wonderful images from this area and was very anxious to see the abundance of seastacks for myself. Plus I also wanted to make a side trip to Golden & Silver Falls Park.

This first image is an evening shot which started out as a golden hue then turned a beautiful Red once the sun was below the horizon. What attracted me to this composition was the fish scale-like texture in the surf, but it only lasted about 10 minutes then the waves shifted position, so even though the sky was much more dramatic later I actually preferred this shot best.

BandonEveWeb.jpg

#2 This was a morning shot with a big negative tide. When I got to the beach it looked like it went out for hundreds of yards before I say the surf, so much so almost all the seastacks were high and mostly dry. I wasn't ready for this as I had hoped to get some water surge movement in my foreground, but finally after running up and down the beach I slowed down and started looking for smaller vignettes to shoot.

BandonEve2Web.jpg

#3 My side trip to Golden/Silver Falls Park only yielded me a shot of Golden falls, my Silver Falls shot was a complete wash out as I was trying to get too close to the falls and got soaked and my singh-ray vari n duo got moisture in it and the day was done at that point.

GoldenFallsWeb.jpg

#4 This last shot is of the old Coquille light house in Bandon. It has been decommissioned for some time but they heard I was in town and fired on the light just for me....ok its photoshoped:rolleyes

LighthouseBandonWeb.jpg

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    First two are just stunning Doug. Great color and love the wave action in #1.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    The first three are all beautifully done. They're memorable. There's nothing wrong with the fourth but the composition is a little static for my taste.

Excellent work!
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    The texture of the sand in the first one is just incredible. Very nicely done.
    Jay
  • kd5fexkd5fex Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    Wonderful shots. They are all great....but I like first two the best.
    Gallery - http://kd5fex.smugmug.com

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anway" ~ John Wayne
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Doug, I love the first two. Bandon is a great spot, and you captured it exceptionally well.clap.gifclapclap.gif

(check your horizons)
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Very nice work Doug!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    Wow, the first 3 shots are the winners here. That first one is truly remarkable!
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    Wonderful set. The first one is excellent but I love the one with the starfish. Nicely done.thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Just awesome, Doug. The first two are off the charts!! bowdown.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Wow! The first shot is so powerful..the rocks, clouds, water...all captured perfectly. And the second is just amazing.....well composed with even a bit of reflection of one of the stacks framed with intent in the upper portion of the pool. Very well done.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Beautiful shots, that first one is special.
    Love the color in the second shot...is it tilted left a bit..
    Really nice composition on the water fall shot.
    Great job!
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    Fantastic images Doug. I always enjoy viewing your work and it seems they get better every time. bowdown.gifbow

All of these are great images, if I had one suggestion it would be to try a crop on the last image that eliminates the bottom reflection. I think this would make the image less busy and focus more on the main subject. Just one mans opinion
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    kd5fex wrote: »
    Wonderful shots. They are all great....but I like first two the best.
    Thanks much KD.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Doug, I love the first two. Bandon is a great spot, and you captured it exceptionally well.clap.gifclapclap.gif (check your horizons)
    Yea, I loved Bandon, got to do it again, thanks.

ront wrote: »
    Very nice work Doug!!

Ron
    thank you Ron
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Wow, the first 3 shots are the winners here. That first one is truly remarkable!
    Thanks Bryan, I had really nice conditions to work with that day.
    Wonderful set. The first one is excellent but I love the one with the starfish. Nicely done.thumb.gif
    Thanks Dan.
    chrismoore wrote: »
    You nailed these, Doug, great job!
    Thanks Chris
    kdog wrote: »
    Just awesome, Doug. The first two are off the charts!! bowdown.gif
    Thank you Joel.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Wow! The first shot is so powerful..the rocks, clouds, water...all captured perfectly. And the second is just amazing.....well composed with even a bit of reflection of one of the stacks framed with intent in the upper portion of the pool. Very well done.
    Thanks Trey, I did spend some time trying to get the rock reflection and the entire water circle.
    zoomer wrote: »
    Beautiful shots, that first one is special.
    Love the color in the second shot...is it tilted left a bit..
    Really nice composition on the water fall shot.
    Great job!
    Thanks much Mike, not that I never get my horizons off but, this scene was actually was going downhill from right to left, from beach to surf.
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Fantastic images Doug. I always enjoy viewing your work and it seems they get better every time. bowdown.gifbow .

All of these are great images, if I had one suggestion it would be to try a crop on the last image that eliminates the bottom reflection. I think this would make the image less busy and focus more on the main subject. Just one mans opinion
    Thank you much Roaddog, I just looked at the crop probably the same way you did by scroling up and you are probably right, it does not have as much tension with the reflection gone.thumb.gif
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    First two are just stunning Doug. Great color and love the wave action in #1.
    Thanks much Tom.
    Cornflake wrote: »
    The first three are all beautifully done. They're memorable. There's nothing wrong with the fourth but the composition is a little static for my taste.

Excellent work!
    Thanks for your comments Don.
    senorjax wrote: »
    The texture of the sand in the first one is just incredible. Very nicely done.
    Thank you Jay, the sand texture really drew me to this shot.
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    Wow! Amazing capture Doug! Great job.
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    Love em. The first one is out a knock out. Just gorgeous. I hope you are putting that one up for sale and asking big bucks.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    Wow! Amazing capture Doug! Great job.
    Thanks much Chris
    Love em. The first one is out a knock out. Just gorgeous. I hope you are putting that one up for sale and asking big bucks.
    Oh I wish! Thanks Lifeinfocus
    Fabulous!
    Thank you Marc.
  • SycridSycrid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Hey Doug, just curious here. Did you use a filter of any type on image 1... it's got me thinking you may have a star filter on it or something, as your sun once it hit's the spikey tall rock seems to disperse like a star filter would create.

Just curious... it looks amazing never the less.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    Excellent work on those first two.
    Anybody can do it.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    nice work, Doug! i love Bandon, but haven't been there in several years. i do recall one evening while i was there, the sunset did just what you describe... started out mostly golden, then turned pink and red, turned the wet sand almost the color of wine!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited September 28, 2011
    Sycrid wrote: »
    Hey Doug, just curious here. Did you use a filter of any type on image 1... it's got me thinking you may have a star filter on it or something, as your sun once it hit's the spikey tall rock seems to disperse like a star filter would create.

Just curious... it looks amazing never the less.
    Thanks Sycrid, I only had a polarizer on when this was shot but did take two exposures and hand blend them in PS. I believe one of my exposures was f22 or f16 to get the sunrays nice a crisp.
    wfeller wrote: »
    Excellent work on those first two.
    Thank you Wfeller.
    squirl033 wrote: »
    nice work, Doug! i love Bandon, but haven't been there in several years. i do recall one evening while i was there, the sunset did just what you describe... started out mostly golden, then turned pink and red, turned the wet sand almost the color of wine!
    I'ts a fantastic area, photographers or just beach goers love it. Thanks for your comments Rocky.