Options

Water Writing

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited September 27, 2011 in Street and Documentary
A group of Calligraphers gather every morning in the park in Nanjing and write poetry with water. The writing lasts a few minutes until the sun dries it. It draws a crowd and people discuss the meaning of the poem and compliment the artist on his fine handwriting. Once the poem disappears, the next calligrapher writes and the discussion continues.

water-writing-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Splendid shot, David. Backlight always gives a sparkling result.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Beijing Summer Palace
    Calligraphy writers are in evidence at Beijing's Summer Palace park

869101990_5ZCNV-L.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 24, 2011
    How cool. Love the shadows. thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Like this one... I like how the people are either focused on the critic on the far left (and like the pointing hand) or the calligraphy. Well composed!
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2011
    thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, this is done in parks all over China along with other culture based activities like tai chi, kung fu, and dancing. I wish the United States had more of a community/culture based society instead of television, video games, and work-work-work with only 2 weeks of vacation.
    My Website
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2011
    David, The United States used to have the kind of community culture for which you're pining. TV killed it. When I was a kid most houses had porches, often with divans and swings. If you sat on the porch in the evening neighbors often would stop by to chat. Nowadays everybody's inside watching crappy TV. You've seen community culture in China, and I could tell you stories about Thai girls who married U.S. GIs, moved to the states, couldn't live without the community culture they'd been used to in Thailand, got divorced, and went back to Thailand.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    David, The United States used to have the kind of community culture for which you're pining. TV killed it. When I was a kid most houses had porches, often with divans and swings. If you sat on the porch in the evening neighbors often would stop by to chat. Nowadays everybody's inside watching crappy TV. You've seen community culture in China, and I could tell you stories about Thai girls who married U.S. GIs, moved to the states, couldn't live without the community culture they'd been used to in Thailand, got divorced, and went back to Thailand.

I'm going to have to disagree with you slightly in that TV didn't kill it. Lazy parenting did. I am 33 years old so I grew up with television but my parents didn't allow me to watch more than 2 hours of TV a day. Now a days, parents use television to babysit their children instead of taking them to a park. My wife is from China and lives with me in the U.S. We find time to go out after work and on weekends and we also enjoy watching a few television shows together. To me, blaming television for the breakdown of culture is the same thing as blaming a rifle for shooting a person.
    My Website
  • Options
    David, I'll concede the point. That kind of problem always lies within human nature.

But I was around before the beginning of TV, and I saw the transformation that took place once TV became more or less universal. When I was in college I was going with a girl whose folks, of an evening around the house, would read, or talk -- even to their daughter and to me -- discuss what was in the newspaper, etc. Then, they bought a TV. From that point on any evening at her house was an evening watching TV. The discussions died.

You and your wife are unusual. You're able to fight it. I used to watch a lot of TV in the evening. Loved M.A.S.H. But as TV went downhill I kept saying to myself that it couldn't get any worse. Finally, after thinking that for years, and feeling my optimism slipping away, I gave up TV entirely. For at least the last twenty years the only time I've watched TV was during an election. It's a great relief and I've gotten a lot of reading done that I'd put off again and again.

The problem with TV is that it's a powerful temptation to be entertained without having to work at it. But having a rifle around doesn't tempt you to shoot anyone, provided you're sane.
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    Great shots, great story!
    Finally, after thinking that for years, and feeling my optimism slipping away, I gave up TV entirely.
    That happened to me 2.5 years ago. I had more and more channels with nothing to watch. I kept saying "it cant get worse"..yes it can rolleyes1.gif
    Problem is now I think of the thousands of wasted hours eek7.gif
    TV did kill a lot of community in America. These shots are such a breath of fresh air thumb.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2011
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    Great shots, great story!
    That happened to me 2.5 years ago. I had more and more channels with nothing to watch. I kept saying "it cant get worse"..yes it can rolleyes1.gif
    Problem is now I think of the thousands of wasted hours eek7.gif
    TV did kill a lot of community in America. These shots are such a breath of fresh air thumb.gif
    Gary

Thanks for the kind comments although I still believe blaming the tool is not the way to go.
    My Website
  • Options
    David, As I said, the problem lies with human nature. The TV is only a temptation, much like the apple, and equally destructive.
  • Options
    RSL wrote: »
    David, As I said, the problem lies with human nature. The TV is only a temptation, much like the apple, and equally destructive.

Yes I agree and I saw that you wrote that before. I was actually commenting on Gary's comment.
    My Website