Options

Yam Vendor, Bejing, China

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited September 29, 2011 in Street and Documentary
A yam vendor and his customers outside the Summer Palace, Bejing, China...

C-495-Summer-Palace-yam-vendor-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 25, 2011
    Nicely composed shot but the light wasn't favorable.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    Fine shot, RP, but Richard's right. Too much direct sun and blown highlights.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    I like the guy counting his money... I wish you could have framed it differently with him being slightly more prominent than the shoppers.

I disagree with Richard's and Russ' commentaries about the lighting as that is beyond your control here. So many street shots have this problem, and we rarely can choose the sunrise/sunset time like landscape photographers might.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    rainbow wrote: »
    I like the guy counting his money... I wish you could have framed it differently with him being slightly more prominent than the shoppers.

I disagree with Richard's and Russ' commentaries about the lighting as that is beyond your control here. So many street shots have this problem, and we rarely can choose the sunrise/sunset time like landscape photographers might.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Rainbow makes a valid point. Think of the gazillion shots a street shooter would miss if he had to always wait on favorable light. You do the best you can. Sometimes, judicious PP work can help.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    I'm liking it if only for the presentation of something happening across the world from me I'd never experience personally.

As for the tones, blacks and whites I suppose the critiques come from differing potential uses of the image. For example, wouldn't a framed gallery print be more subjected to critical analysis than, say.... an image for a newspaper or on-line story of yam sales in China?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 29, 2011
    I understand all too well the problems of harsh light when shooting on the street. At least we don't have to get up at 4AM and hike 15 miles with our gear like the landscape crowd. Still, unfavorable light is, well, unfavorable. In many cases, it doesn't much matter if stuff in the background is blown or plugged, but I don't like that to happen with the subject. Reducing the exposure by maybe a third of a stop might have helped here. ne_nau.gif