Foggy Coast

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited October 6, 2011 in Landscapes
Fall is the time of year when the fog recedes from the California coast, so I headed out to the Monterey Bay this week thinking I'd catch some sunset/sunrise action. Apparently the weather gods hadn't heard the news because it was totally fogged in. I snapped some pictures anyway and figured I'd post them here for comments because frankly I can't decide whether they have any redeeming value or not.

#1 Point Lobos, mid-afternoon. Anybody want to go for a swim?
IMG9543-XL.jpg

#2 Another part of Point Lobos, 2 second exposure using a 6-stop ND.
IMG9574-XL.jpg

#3 The next two were taken at Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur, allegedly at sunset but I never actually saw a sunset. :bluduh
IMG9653-XL.jpg

IMG9671-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    These are very nice shots.

1st picture is cool because the waves are strong. I bet it was really LOUD.
    2nd picture I like because the fog makes it look like there is something really mysterious beyond the rocky little bay.
    3rd picture is my favorite one. The drift wood and the orange boulder. It's very cool.
    4th is my second favorite. Again, the drift wood is a neat touch. The sand looks very inviting. The place looks like an awesome place to just sit, look, and relax.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    KerrrBear, thanks very much for your thoughts on my my shots! It was high tide, and waves were pounding. Pfeiffer Beach is fairly secluded and quiet and a great place to hang out and enjoy. The rock formations are awesome. If you look carefully, you can see the famous "hole in the rock" in #3 with a wave crashing through it. You should make it a point to visit the beach if you ever make it out to Big Sur.
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    A great set of images. I really like the power and action displayed in the first image. In the third image I like the way the shape of the drift wood mimics the hole in the rock.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Really nice set, Joel. It is tough to come up with shots when you don't have a sunset or sunrise. I like all 4 but the third one is special. love the tones in the rock and sand and also the arch in the log seems to mimic the hole in the rock seastack plus the log really carries the eye into your image.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Joel, nice ones - I really like #1, it really captures the mighty ocean power. Regarding redeeming value - you got out of the house, enjoyed nature, captured great moments - what more do you want?
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Hey Joel,

Glad you made it down after all. Its looks like you hade fun exploring the area and came away with some nice images, especially during the fog. I really like #1 &#3. Finding Pfeiffer Beach is a real challenge in and of itself. We will have to meetup and do some shooting soon, especially as the weather improves and waves get bigger.
    edited September 25, 2011
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    A great set of images. I really like the power and action displayed in the first image. In the third image I like the way the shape of the drift wood mimics the hole in the rock.
    Thanks, Roaddog!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice set, Joel. It is tough to come up with shots when you don't have a sunset or sunrise. I like all 4 but the third one is special. love the tones in the rock and sand and also the arch in the log seems to mimic the hole in the rock seastack plus the log really carries the eye into your image.
    Thanks, Doug! You made the same observation as Roaddog. Wish I could say I planned that bit of symmetry, but I'd be lying!
    sgonen wrote: »
    Joel, nice ones - I really like #1, it really captures the mighty ocean power. Regarding redeeming value - you got out of the house, enjoyed nature, captured great moments - what more do you want?
    Thanks, Shimon. I completely agree with you. The worst day in the field shooting photos is better than the best day working! rolleyes1.gif
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Hey Joel,

Glad you made it down after all. Its looks like you hade fun exploring the area and came away with some nice images, especially during the fog. I really like #1 &#3. Finding Pfeiffer Beach is a real challenge in and of itself. We will have to meetup and do some shooting soon, especially as the weather improves and waves get bigger.
    Hi Derek! Pfeiffer was a bit of challenge to find. But since I sailed right past Garrapata without finding the place to shoot you told me about, I was determined! At least now I have a reason to go back. deal.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Great set, Joel! You really put me into the scene--I can almost hear those waves crashing. My favorite is #3--I really like the composition and the bit of fog in the background. Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Jealous.....
    I love that first shot...can almost hear the waves.
    Nice photos of an awesome place.
  • crimsonwinecrimsonwine Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    Really Nice Pics....I have shot at that remote beach too at Big Sur...Interesting place and great photo ops...!!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Pfeiffer Beach is one of my favorite places this part of the state. I actually really like it covered in fog like you shot it. Quite different (and much more dynamic) than the usual golden sunstream photos thumb.gif
    edited September 26, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Great set, Joel! You really put me into the scene--I can almost hear those waves crashing. My favorite is #3--I really like the composition and the bit of fog in the background. Well done!
    Thank you, Lauren! Even though I wasn't sure about these, the comments in this thread make me glad I posted them.
    zoomer wrote: »
    Jealous.....
    I love that first shot...can almost hear the waves.
    Nice photos of an awesome place.
    Thanks, Zoomer! The waves breaking on this near rocks were amazing.
    Really Nice Pics....I have shot at that remote beach too at Big Sur...Interesting place and great photo ops...!!
    Thanks, Crimsonwine. It's a really good area for photos, and I think I've barely scratched the surface there.
    schmoo wrote: »
    Pfeiffer Beach is one of my favorite places this part of the state. I actually really like it covered in fog like you shot it. Quite different (and much more dynamic) than the usual golden sunstream photos thumb.gif
    Hey thanks, Schmoo! I'm most likely going to go back soon for some of the "usual golden sunstream" photos as well. :D
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

Hey thanks, Schmoo! I'm most likely going to go back soon for some of the "usual golden sunstream" photos as well. :D

Pfeiffer Beach is one of those unque places that kinda sneaks up on you as a photographer. Sure, you notice the obvious keyhole through the rock at first. But then when you start to look around and let your mind wander a bit there are so many other cool things to discover. You can shoot from above if you climb the cliff, head further down the beach and get some unique angles, rocks, climb into the larger cave if you feel daring, etc... And if you have kids there are plenty of places for them to explore around there as well. thumb.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Well done without the sun. No. 3 does it for me...gives me a sense of place as if I were sitting there.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    It is interesting how what we see in our own work is often different than what others see. Glad you did post these, Joel. Looking forward to your next batch.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    Great stuff, Joel. Each shot has it's own appeal. Looks like you're adapting to the West Coast very well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 1, 2011
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Pfeiffer Beach is one of those unque places that kinda sneaks up on you as a photographer. Sure, you notice the obvious keyhole through the rock at first. But then when you start to look around and let your mind wander a bit there are so many other cool things to discover. You can shoot from above if you climb the cliff, head further down the beach and get some unique angles, rocks, climb into the larger cave if you feel daring, etc... And if you have kids there are plenty of places for them to explore around there as well. thumb.gif
    Yup, I noticed all the possibilities there and can't wait to return -- maybe even with the kids.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Well done without the sun. No. 3 does it for me...gives me a sense of place as if I were sitting there.
    Thanks, Trey! That's my favorite of the day as well.
    redleash wrote: »
    It is interesting how what we see in our own work is often different than what others see. Glad you did post these, Joel. Looking forward to your next batch.

Lauren
    I'm glad I posted them too now. Thanks again!
    Great stuff, Joel. Each shot has it's own appeal. Looks like you're adapting to the West Coast very well.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom! Yeah, I'm starting to get into the swing of things here. Somehow I will persevere. :D
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Nice set - really like #3. For people that have never been on that beach, that keyhole looks tiny in your shot (which makes it cooler for those that have been there). :-)
  • spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    nice I really like #1. I was up on the beaches near SC that weekend, and I concur the fog made shooting really hard!
    edited October 6, 2011
    Thwack wrote: »
    Nice set - really like #3. For people that have never been on that beach, that keyhole looks tiny in your shot (which makes it cooler for those that have been there). :-)
    Thanks, Thwack! Yeah, a wide-angle lens will do that. :D
    spacefuzz wrote: »
    nice I really like #1. I was up on the beaches near SC that weekend, and I concur the fog made shooting really hard!
    Thanks, Spacefuzz! Some times ya gotta take what you get. nod.gif