Enchanted Meadows

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited September 26, 2011 in Landscapes
Shot at sunset in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness, the stream leading from Three Fingered Jack peak among a meadow of wildflowers. THe sky was cool, but it wasn't until I put on my 10 stop ND filter that the motion of the clouds really painted the sky with light. Technically a more difficult shot, a blend of several shots for depth of field and exposure (e.g., a 1s for the stream, 1/100 at ISO 1000 for the flowers at different focal points, mountain, and sky, all hand blended). One of my favorites from my recent trip to the Cascades. Thanks for looking!

i-GQ5rvw5-O.jpg

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Well you certainly have the magic with your technique. This is just so pleasing to look at. Using the 10 stop ND for the sky really made the photo come alive and the color of the flowers provide a very nice accent to the photo. Mountain, snow, moving clouds, soft stream and flowers....you got it all!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    I keep looking for the unicorn! lol3.gif

Seriously, great job on a tough shot.
  • kd5fexkd5fex Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    All i can seem to say is..WOW!
    Gallery - http://kd5fex.smugmug.com

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anway" ~ John Wayne
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    I think this is a wonderful image. But.........Just my thoughts here............ I tend not to like landscapes in a vertical orientation. You could try maybe an 8X10 crop?

Again it is a wonderful image.

Sam
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    I really like the bottom of the shot....not sure the top part all came together just right with the clouds and the mountains and the trees. That is quite a puzzle to get all that to match perfectly.
    All together it is a nice shot of a beautiful scene.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Oh yea! I see why it is one of your favorites. I love it too, it has so many really beautiful elements: creek, flowers, mountains and sky. There is a lot of cool symmetry between the verticle flowers, trees and jagged peaks. Print it large!

are you using a 10 stop circular or Big stop type filter?
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    Thanks. Aside from putting things together, there was little PP involved. The colors and the light did it all for me! Doug, I used a B+W 10 stop solid nd (77mm round and thin). I just bought it before this trip. The 30 s exposure really allowed the cloud and light movement to paint the colors in the sky. The regular 1s or so exposure was much less compelling and artistic. The sky, mountain and trees were all from the same exposure.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    I like this one a lot, Chris. Exquisite colors and I like the way the purple flowers take me into the scene alongside the stream. Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Def worth the effort... composure and depth of colour is amazing. Well done
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE