mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited September 26, 2011 in Landscapes
C&C always appreciated.

Pusch-Ridge2-XL.jpg

Pusch-Ridge-3-XL.jpg

Comments

• ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Mike, This looks like a very beautiful area, It looks like you picked a tough time of day for this shot. Much of pic 1 is lost to harsh shadows. The second is better, as you positioned the camers to loose much of the underexposed forefround.
  • mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    Robert, thank you very much for your feedback. So, does this work better? I was initially unsure about whether the foreground added anything to the image. Unfortunately, at this location even last-light is somewhat problematic because of the canyon entrance.

Pusch-Ridge2-XL.jpg

just a quick Lr adjustment, if it's working better I'll reprocess the thing from RAW.
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    mstens wrote: »
    Robert, thank you very much for your feedback. So, does this work better? I was initially unsure about whether the foreground added anything to the image. Unfortunately, at this location even last-light is somewhat problematic because of the canyon entrance.

Pusch-Ridge2-XL.jpg

just a quick Lr adjustment, if it's working better I'll reprocess the thing from RAW.

Mike.
    I think, you still need more foreground to make this photo work better. i see two things, that may have made a better foreground, 1. The path on the right, with flash, or better yet a close uo of one of those cactus, with the mountain as a background, Jmo.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Mike, welcome to dgrin. I too live in Tucson. You can see my photos on my smugmug website if you like. The Catalinas can be a tough subject to compose with the right light and foreground. Keep posting :D
    Thanks to both Robert and Dan! Landscape is something I need to work on, to be sure, both compositionally and technically (for instance, I over stopped-down and caused some refraction). So I'll be back, especially since I'm also a backpacker. I do, seriously, appreciate both of your comments and critiques. Most of a decade of relative inactivity and I'm relearning many things. Thanks much!
    Keeping your comments in mind, I went back out there today since well.. the skies were a little more forgiving than on Friday.

Comments, critiques, a flat out 'that sucks' would be fully appreciated. Thanks again for the comments previously and thanks for looking again.

DSC0002-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC0011-Edit-XL.jpg
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    I like the first one of your second group best...crop a bit off the top of the sky maybe.
    Do cactus grow straight vertical....if so the first shot needs a little adjustment. Your insticts were correct, the foreground does not add on that first one so crop most of it out.

Dramatic landscapes..thanks for sharing.
    edited September 26, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, the cactus does not always grow vertically but you're right it should look as one would expect it to. I've straightened the majority of them out now, and am happier with the image over all. Thanks again!