My FIRST portraits. Kate & Tim.

MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited October 22, 2005 in People
Please comment on anything you see thats good, and bad. I really need to start getting GOOD at this. Thanks for the time to comment.

40516483-L.jpg

40516493-L.jpg

40516498-L.jpg
TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful

Comments

• smittymike19smittymike19 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    very nice shots. great scenery and time of day to shoot. the only thing i would suggest is to be careful of your focusing as the shots appear to be blurry (slightly). could use some sharpening, other than that great shots.:):
  • MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    I saw that too... I normaly shoot and change the af-point from angle to angle. When on full focus it always seems to focus on the river or tree behind them.
    TCGphoto.com

edited October 18, 2005
    yeah
    MaleficZ wrote:
    I saw that too... I normaly shoot and change the af-point from angle to angle. When on full focus it always seems to focus on the river or tree behind them.
    yeah upon closer inspection thats what happened, the focus landed behind them. i always use the single point focus and aim dead on the eyes. if i want to recompose and i have time, i just scroll thru the af points to get the af point at a place in the frame where i want their eyes. or you can always use single point and lock in teh af and recompose and shoot (though if its a shallow dof you could be in trouble).
    edited October 18, 2005
    yeah upon closer inspection thats what happened, the focus landed behind them. i always use the single point focus and aim dead on the eyes. if i want to recompose and i have time, i just scroll thru the af points to get the af point at a place in the frame where i want their eyes. or you can always use single point and lock in teh af and recompose and shoot (though if its a shallow dof you could be in trouble).
    just looking again, and wow looka the first shot, those branches are tack sharp.

ps. what was your av? for these type portraits if you are ok with the background not isolated go with f8, to lessen the chance of missing the in focus portion of the dof.
  • MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    ...i always use the single point focus and aim dead on the eyes...
    I started doing that same thing later on int the pictures. Something learned.

And its easy for me to change AF points with my 20d.

Here, I dont mine showing these to my DGrin brethren. http://tcgphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/892660 Password is pizza

exif's and all that good stuff if you want to check em' out.
    TCGphoto.com

edited October 20, 2005
    much better
    MaleficZ wrote:
    I started doing that same thing later on int the pictures. Something learned.

And its easy for me to change AF points with my 20d.

Here, I dont mine showing these to my DGrin brethren. http://tcgphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/892660 Password is pizza

exif's and all that good stuff if you want to check em' out.
    yeah the last ones are much better in terms of sharpness. though i think i see why you posted the others as they are my favorites expression and posewise. but really they are all realy good. i know what you mean about doing things wrong when shooting.

last week i was at a pumpkin patch with my 2 sons and wife. i was really looking forward to getting soem good shots. well taht was until we got there and my 2 year old started running wind sprints around the field and the 2month old had to be carried as we went on a hyride to get out to the patch.

needless to say, in all of the confusion, i left my camera on manual ( i almost always shoot Av mode) nad set the aperture and started shooting. not bothering to check the shots as i was really pretty wiped out. well halfway through our trip i decided to look through the shots and lo and behold, they were pretty much worthless, totally blown out. so bad that i cant even fix them in raw, i need about 3 more stops. lol. thats what i get for shooting on cruise control. lol

so far i have
    1. shot on 1600 iso unintentionally (outside)
    2. shot in manual mode (see above) unintentionally
    3. forget memory cards (about 3x)
    4. went out on dead battery (2x)

must i go on? i used to be pretty organized until i had 2 kids. now? forget it.,ne_nau.gif
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Overall the pictures are nice.

Besides the focusing, the color isnt consistent comparing the first pic to the other 2. I know the light source has changed cos they're in a diff. spot but the jump is quite steep. Not necessarily a bad thing but something to keep in mind in case you want a smooth transition from pic to pic.

Also, a general rule is NOT to crop off people or animals at their joints (ie the knees in the first and ankle for the following). Sometimes it makes people look ampulated umph.gif:D

Keep it up man