Options

Monotone of Dad #86

powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited September 29, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm not sure if this photo works on it's own... My dad and mom run a second-hand furniture business to support the homeless and needy. This effort keeps them busy and young. I'm amazed how dad can crouch down, and is always fixing things around the shop. I'm concerned that without knowing this, the photo might be confusing on it's own...and would appreciate your feedback.
thanks, Joy

Busy Fixing at 85

[IMG]http://[/img]http://joyspics.smugmug.com/Other/Challenges/i-bVXCsVx/0/S/DSC0159dadbusybusy-S.jpg[IMG][/img]http://joyspics.smugmug.com/Other/Challenges/i-bVXCsVx/0/S/DSC0159dadbusybusy-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited September 24, 2011
    Still learning to post..
    Does this look better? 1000000174-XL.jpg
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    I love it... the tight crop, the angle of the shot, and your processing is rich....wish you could see a SMIDGE more of his face... but nice work
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    I love it... the tight crop, the angle of the shot, and your processing is rich....wish you could see a SMIDGE more of his face... but nice work

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    ok, thanks for the feedback. He is a shy guy, but I see what you mean about the face :) He spent many years taking photos of us growing up, now, we adult children try for a good shot of dad.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    I like this because too often, we photograph elderly people sitting next to a window looking wrinkled and dreamily lost. Your dad looks vital here. i agree that we'd like to see more of him.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    The image MAKES me want to see more of his face.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    ditto.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2011
    Two more options
    Quite Alive at 85

1000000180-L.jpg

More Face

1000000179-L.jpg

be sure to notice the "little boy" cowlick on the back of his head.iloveyou.gif

1000000180-L.jpghttp:
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    I quite like "more face" ... it seems his personality shines through.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    I really like the energy conveyed by the composition of #1 with its angles and tight crop. While I'd like to see more of his face in the shot, I feel like his position tells me more about his personality (and youthful activities) than the other shots. (But then again, I know your dad.)

I also like the last shot - More Face - but might suggest cropping a bit from the top (the black to the left of his head). But it's a runner up to #1 for me. Good luck with this!
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    I really like the original best.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I like the original and More Face. Probably More Face a little better because of two things in particular. The first is the angle on his face. In the original, the angle has really minimized facial expression and shows his glasses only as a thin line.

More importantly for me is he sharper focus and detail in More Face, particularly in the hands which are so important in more mature subjects.

It's a wonderful story line... nice work!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Ditto on the original--it's a much more intriguing image. Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. I decided to enter something completely different, but am so happy to have these of dear old dad. I agree with you, Bill, about the sharper focus! thanks again. Joy