Options

First time Senior Pictures

JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited September 26, 2011 in People
First time for me out on location with a person not in my family. The subject is a somewhat shy kid whose interests included being in the woods. We shot for about 3 hours at a park with an old water powered grain mill and a log cabin. One thing I noticed at one point during the shoot was the way he was grasping his hands but the only thing I could think of to say was to try not to leave out his pinky while doing it. Next time I will make hand posing a priority. I was fairly nervous being I had never done this and I was concentrating on camera and flash positions and settings. I did enjoy the shoot and I think I got some decent shots. Here are a few that I like and I would like some CC.

Thanks

BIZ_5135-2.jpg

BIZ_5115.jpg

BIZ_5186_01.jpg

BIZ_5201.jpg

BIZ_5219.jpg

BIZ_5209.jpg

BIZ_5221.jpg

BIZ_5233.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    You've got some good things going here and you have some no no's.
    #1 I agree with you on the hand positioning........he has a prominent nose and shooting up into it makes it worse.

#2. Shooting down helps the nose but what is that thing growing out of his head? It really distracts....look past your subject...it can be hard to do from time to time.

#3. Just a plain bad angle shot into the butt.

#4. This one had soo much potential if you would have turned him more into the camera. This is a great spot and your lighting is great but turn the next one. As it is now with the head tilt it is somewhat feminine.

#5. Don't let the nose break the plan of the face. Either have him look at the camera or do a profile however the profile shot is not for him.

#6. This is the other that has soo much potential. You should have used the stairs for the background. As it is the white area above his left should draws your eye away from him. Great lighting however.

#7. seems like just a pose with no purpose again the nose breaks the plain of the face. Plus the hands are very arkward.

#8. he needs some separation from the background as he blends into it too much. Again watch the nose and facial plain.

Don't mean to be hard so take what you want from the crits. Again you have the start of some nice lighting.

Go Steelers, I'm originally from the Uniontown area.
  • Options
    JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Hackbone,
    No worries. Be hard. I dont come here and expect people to be ol softies. Im from the steel city and around here we take it as it comes. Go Steelers!

You have critiqued my work before and I have always learned from and apreciate what you have to say. This time is no different.

#2 On the monitor I am currently sitting at I do see a shadow that blends right into his hair. I did not see this on my monitor at home. Is that what you are reffering to by the thing growing out of his head?

#3 This was, I think, a point in the shoot where he was most comfortable. I like the expression on his face. Maybe a different crop.

BIZ_5185.jpg

and yes I see now how the nose is breaking the facial plane and the next time I will turn the head a bit more.

Thanks Hackbone
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    On #2 I really was referring to the sign and rope and etc that was coming out from behind his head.