Options

All you mac buffs...

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I had the chance to use a mac today. First time ever for me. I can say that I had a very hard time figuring out how to... turn it on :wink. Let's see... no power button on the front... not on the keyboard... not on the mouse... not on the back... wait, there's something... HEY, a power button!:barb

First thoughts are, the one-button mouse system is way primitive... Firefox is nice, but no favorites bar... arg, am I the only one who appreciates visual buttons? I'll have to try some photo processing on it. It doesn't have PS though.

Comments

• Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    Mac's have had a multi button mouse for years, you just have to turn it on in the system preferences ;)

I have a favorites bad in Firefox, I don't recall though if it's a preference or not. You're not alone, I prefer the buttons but everyone seems to be going away from them.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    even the mouse that ships w the iMac has two buttons, they are just hidden. Mac will let you use any mouse you like. I use a $19 Logitech mouse, but have recently begun using the Magic Touchpad (stupid name)

"bookmarks toolbar" is a setting in Firefox, even in Windows it is off by default. just click View>Toolbars>Bookmarks Toolbar. Chrome does same thing, as does Safari. Unfortunately, Safari won't let you use web favicons for bookmarks, unlike every other browser on the market, so I stay away from Safari.
  • Options
    everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    I missed the favicons in my bookmark toolbar when I first switched to Mac last May, but I soon realized that text based bookmarks are fine when you have a huge screen. I have twelve one-word bookmarks on my Safari bookmark toolbar with the window only 2/3 the width of my iMac screen. The remaining few are easily accessible with a click on a drop down bar.

I found tutorials for switching from PC to Mac on the Apple website that were helpful, but it turned out to just a matter of getting used to doing things a new way, nothing complicated.

The only thing I really miss is that I seem to be unable to tell my Mac to open documents in particular program via double-clicking. I always have to right click and then click on "Open in ...".

I LOVE the magic trackpad. (I hate the mouse but really haven't given it a chance. My kids use it, but I don't think they know how to right click yet either.) I love how easy it is to scroll and otherwise navigate pages with just strokes of the finger(s).

As far as photography and my digital scrapbooking, well, I was on a laptop PC before so I can't compare, but images are beautiful on my Mac.
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • Options

The only thing I really miss is that I seem to be unable to tell my Mac to open documents in particular program via double-clicking. I always have to right click and then click on "Open in ...".

Michele:

Next time, right click, and then, in "Open with...", rather than choosing your preferred app, choose 'Other...' down at the bottom. You will then get a Finder window that lets you choose your app, including a check box that allows you to "Always open with..."
  • Options
    everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    cmason wrote: »
    Michele:

Next time, right click, and then, in "Open with...", rather than choosing your preferred app, choose 'Other...' down at the bottom. You will then get a Finder window that lets you choose your app, including a check box that allows you to "Always open with..."

I'm glad I mentioned it! Thank you!
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • Options
    I did like the magic trackpad. Macs are nice, but it seems like you get more bang for buck with PCs.

But Apple will be at a clear disadvantage soon. Have you heard about Windows 8? It's going to change the world of computing. It's going to be a Lion competitor AND an ipad cometitor. Microsoft will be launching the Windows Marketplace, their version of the App Store. And this Windows 8 will run on desktops, laptops, and tablets. Yes, we'll be able to run Photoshop on a Windows tablet. And when you hook up a keyboard, it becomes a full-blown laptop. Of course, it'll have disadvantages at first, but after a while I think this will be a real game changer.
  • Options
    But Apple will be at a clear disadvantage soon. Have you heard about Windows 8?

Soon is over a year from now, earliest, for Windows 8 to ship. Windows Vista shipped two years late, and Windows 7 was 18 months late. Perhaps Microsoft will get things on time this go around. Not that Apple is any better I suspect, except Apple doesn't preannounce anything, so we can't tell. Most of the time this works, in the recent case of Final Cut X, it was a disaster.

iOS is moving to v5. Windows 8 will be v1. Win8 is brand new OS, sharing nothing with Win7, which is based on Windows 2000 core. Neither iOS nor Mac OSX was anywhere feature complete in their initial releases, and while promising, didn't really take off till later updates. I don't think Apple will be at a disadvantage anytime soon. As a consumer, I am excited about Windows 8, as it keeps innovators moving forward, bringing us better products.

However, I have loaded Win8 Developer preview on a Virtual Machine. While I think it might be interesting on a tablet, I am not convinced at all on a PC. Maybe I am too engrained in my habits, but dang, Win 8 is confusing, too many swipes, charms and remembering what is open where. I recommend you give it try first.

Indeed, it might be awesome when it finally ships, and 3rd party apps might be really killer, but that isn't now.
  • Options
    Good points. I don't think it will destroy Apple's market share, but it'll give them more competition than they've had recently. I'm excited about iOS 5 too.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    But Apple will be at a clear disadvantage soon. Have you heard about Windows 8? It's going to change the world of computing.

IF MS continues to produce operating systems as they’ve done in the past, if history is any indication, I’m not sold. This from a Mac and Windows user. I find I want to strangle Window’s 7 little neck far, far more often than OS X.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    I have the magic mouse and I love that thing. While it is a one button deal, the whole mouse is a touch pad, too.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Foques wrote: »
    While it is a one button deal, the whole mouse is a touch pad, too.

Hmmmm, not sure what this means: true, the whole touch pad is 'one single button', BUT it is set to support one finger for left click, two fingers are right click = two button mouse.
  • Options
    the top of the mouse is not only a button, but a pressure sensitive board.
    so, as an example I can do pinch to zoom, I can slide pages, use forward/backward tool by keeping two fingers while making the motion.

if you press the button with two fingers, it will look at it as a right click, one finger - left click.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    Let's see... no power button on the front... not on the keyboard... not on the mouse... not on the back... wait, there's something... HEY, a power button!wings.gif

The reason for that is the power button is not expected to be used very often. The default power manager (Energy Saver) settings are set up so that if you were to walk away from the Mac for a while, it would time out and power down to sleep, and when you come back, you would hit a key and it would wake and resume. There's not really a need to turn it all the way off and on. If you work with a lot of apps (email, web, Photoshop, DAM, etc), it's easier to work this way than to shut down and then have to set up all those app windows again when you cold boot the computer. The way it is designed, you get "instant-on."

And actually, that's the way many people (including me) also use Windows now, since Windows has improved its standby behavior. I'm not sure if it's still less stable than the Mac version of sleep, since I still find that Windows users do not trust standby/hibernate, while on the Mac I often go for weeks (literally) without shutting down or restarting the computer. I really have a very, very rare need to ever touch the power button on my Mac. So it goes in the back, because Apple has this obsession with a minimal front panel design.

It's funny to see this in coffee shops. Typically, Windows users show up, boot the laptop, get coffee while awaiting the boot sequence to complete, then start opening programs, then start opening windows. Mac users simply open the lid and start typing because all their apps are already open and on the network within 5 seconds of coming out of sleep.
    First thoughts are, the one-button mouse system is way primitive...

That's why I love plugging 2-button mice into my Macs, I right-click all the time and the system and many apps will give you plenty of right-click menus. I used to use a $5 generic USB mouse until it broke, and currently I use a very nice Microsoft 5-button Bluetooth wireless mouse with my Mac. So...where's the problem again?:D
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2011
    colourbox wrote:
    The reason for that is the power button is not expected to be used very often. The default power manager (Energy Saver) settings are set up so that if you were to walk away from the Mac for a while, it would time out and power down to sleep, and when you come back, you would hit a key and it would wake and resume. There's not really a need to turn it all the way off and on. If you work with a lot of apps (email, web, Photoshop, DAM, etc), it's easier to work this way than to shut down and then have to set up all those app windows again when you cold boot the computer. The way it is designed, you get "instant-on."

And actually, that's the way many people (including me) also use Windows now, since Windows has improved its standby behavior. I'm not sure if it's still less stable than the Mac version of sleep, since I still find that Windows users do not trust standby/hibernate, while on the Mac I often go for weeks (literally) without shutting down or restarting the computer. I really have a very, very rare need to ever touch the power button on my Mac. So it goes in the back, because Apple has this obsession with a minimal front panel design.

It's funny to see this in coffee shops. Typically, Windows users show up, boot the laptop, get coffee while awaiting the boot sequence to complete, then start opening programs, then start opening windows. Mac users simply open the lid and start typing because all their apps are already open and on the network within 5 seconds of coming out of sleep.

The position of the button makes sense. I rarely shut down my laptop either. I just found it humorous that it took me, a fluent Windows user, 5 minutes to figure out how to turn on a mac :D
    colourbox wrote:
    That's why I love plugging 2-button mice into my Macs, I right-click all the time and the system and many apps will give you plenty of right-click menus. I used to use a $5 generic USB mouse until it broke, and currently I use a very nice Microsoft 5-button Bluetooth wireless mouse with my Mac. So...where's the problem again?:D

No problem, no problem :)... I find max to be expensive, but perhaps they're worth it. This has piqued my curiousity, I'm looking forward to playing with them more.
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    As a very recent defector from Windows, I think the Magic Mouse is far more advanced that my old 5-button/wheel mouse. It took me a week or two to get the hang of it (and I am still learning), but it really is a powerful device and its functions can be extended through the use of 3rd-Party Apps. I'll also be buying the trackpad soon. Being able to swipe your fingers across the top of the mouse and watch your desktops swoosh left and right is just plain COOL! :D

With regards to Right-Click... I've got one finger right click just like Windows on my Magic Mouse using OSX Lion.

Take a look at this page (and the video) which explains a bit more about what it can do...
    http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    Foques wrote: »
    I have the magic mouse and I love that thing. While it is a one button deal, the whole mouse is a touch pad, too.

Can work as a two button mouse. You just have to go into hardware settings, find the magic mouse and select the left and right option.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2011
    I was referring to a physical button, I know of it's options. ;)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Can work as a two button mouse. You just have to go into hardware settings, find the magic mouse and select the left and right option.

That is what actually annoys Windows converts I think. Not that the Mac can't do it, but that Apple decides to disable the capability out of the box and you have to go turn it on. Because what that leads to is that people start up their new Mac and there does not appear to be any way to get a context menu out of their mouse or trackpad, even though there are actually 4 ways to do it on a Mac laptop. (Turn on right click for a connected mouse, or Ctrl-click, or turn on the bottom right tap option on the trackpad, or turn on two-finger click on the trackpad...).
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I had the chance to use a mac today. First time ever for me. I can say that I had a very hard time figuring out how to... turn it on mwink.gif. Let's see... no power button on the front... not on the keyboard... not on the mouse... not on the back... wait, there's something... HEY, a power button!wings.gif

First thoughts are, the one-button mouse system is way primitive... Firefox is nice, but no favorites bar... arg, am I the only one who appreciates visual buttons? I'll have to try some photo processing on it. It doesn't have PS though.

Starting up: open the lid
    Closing down: close the lid
    Mouse?: have not used mine for several months, just the touch pad

I doubt windows 8 will make any difference to the growth of Apple. It is the level of easy integration with apps and cloud and other Apple devices that makes Apples a joy to use. Plus a hundred and one well thought through design details. The Windows paradigm is quite different.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    Starting up: open the lid
    Closing down: close the lid
    Mouse?: have not used mine for several months, just the touch pad

I doubt windows 8 will make any difference to the growth of Apple. It is the level of easy integration with apps and cloud and other Apple devices that makes Apples a joy to use. Plus a hundred and one well thought through design details. The Windows paradigm is quite different.

There was no lid or touchpad, it was an iMac.

I played with it some more. My website looks gorgeous on that screen! I find Windows to be easier to use, though I'm sure that's because I'm used to it and not Mac. Windows has some features that make more sense; for example, double-clicking on the top bar of a window makes the window smaller (the green "+" button on a Mac window).

I can definitely see myself getting used to it and being able to use it fluently, but right now I'm happy with Windows. Maybe I just haven't used it enough lol3.gif