Options

#86 Toned B&W?

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited October 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
La Compania, Cusco, Peru

Cus061-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Looking at other suggested entries in #86 I am assuming that toned B&W is OK?

Comments

• Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    Works for me! I love how the people and cars give scale to the architecture....
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    Theme is Monotone... they didn't way what tone it had to be. deal.gif Great photo!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Really like the detail and sharpness and I agree with Sweetharmony about the people and cars providing architectural scale. GP
  • Options
    Thank you for your comments. The entries so far seem to be un-toned. I just wanted to be sure this would be OK.
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    Lucky you! looks very nice.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    I had just worked on tone-mapping one of my shots when you posted this. Looks great!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Nice. Love the tone mapping and detail in the facade!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2011
    Thank you all for your comments.

billseye, that was indeed the purpose of the tonemapping. The cathedral is a dark red sandstone and the detail work was lost in dark rust-colored tones in color and very dark gray tones in the conversion.
  • Options
    MerfmanMerfman Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    Love the shot! Also, thanks for the thoughts on the processing!
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I like it. Is it possible to show a wider angle of the crop just to see what you took out when you cropped it the way it is now? Also, I'd try to crop it so that the building is level with the bottom of the image so that the lines on the bottom left hand side doesn't intersect at acute angle to the corner, if that makes any sense :)
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    I like it. Is it possible to show a wider angle of the crop just to see what you took out when you cropped it the way it is now? Also, I'd try to crop it so that the building is level with the bottom of the image so that the lines on the bottom left hand side doesn't intersect at acute angle to the corner, if that makes any sense :)

I shot from the opposite corner of the square from an elevated sidewalk/patio area. That removed a lot of street level distractions. That's why there was only 5 deg of vertical perspective correction. There are steps down to the street in front of the camera with people's heads and more cars. Enough distractions to make it a street scene. That wasn't the intent. I can't rotate the image to square the bottom, that would screw up the verticals. I could do a horizontal transform in Lightroom which I just tried and it actually works, it squares up the sidewalk in front of the cathedral and cuts a bit off the top, but brings up some distracting heads that would have to be cloned; not my favorite activity.

Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed it but didn't really think about trying to do something about it. However, I should also point out that this image can't be entered in the monotone challenge. I read the rules in detail finally and realized that this doesn't meet the timeliness requirement. I apologize for wasting people's time.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Its unfortunate you can't use it in the challenge, but its a great picture nonetheless. :) If I can make a suggestion to possibly clear the cars and people out. I've done that before to get a good architecture shot by itself either by using a strong ND filter and taking long exposures to remove extras in the scene or take several exposures, noting what should be removed or kept and creating a composite image containing all the integral pieces I want to keep and cloning out what I didn't want. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    That's interesting, I've not heard of the ND filter technique but I have done the multiple shot technique. There is another way of doing that using panorama software. If the scene contains a large flat surface, and this one does, you can take the same shot from two different positions. You put all alignment control points on the flat wall and have the software align the images and compute the amount of camera motion. You make each aligned image a layer in PS and erase offending poles, light fixtures, and people that are in front of the plane of the wall, what was behind the obstacle comes through from the lower layer. The obstacles don't have to move, you do. Unlike most panoramas, here parallax is your friend.

Great ideas but they all take some planning. This was a tour, with tour guides and other tourists, walking the town. Shoot and run. Thanks for this discussion, with a little planning I could probably do some of this stuff on in a tour environment.