Options

DSS #86 - Black & White choices

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited October 1, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Haven't really tried doing any Black & White or Monotone photography, so again another interesting challenge and trying new techniques. Read a few articles on Monotone photography, some mentioned good if have interesting clouding. First picture purposely waited for a part cloudy background, and result is interesting background.

#1 First Leaves

C201109251004937FirstLeaves-X2.jpg
Clouds gave way to rain. Actually feel this photo looks better with the B & W rather than coloured background.

#2 Wet Sunday Afternoon

C201109251004951WetSundayAfter-X2.jpg
On the last photo, have blurred the corners to give an "old world" effect. Does this add to the photo?

#3 Whitebaiting

C201109261004964Whitebaiting-X2.jpg

Comments on the photos be appreciated. Also appreciate help in choosing which best to enter.

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    I like #1. On #3 the corner treatment didn't work for me... it's fine up at the top corners... but on the bottom, bottom left especially, it makes it look like you got your thumb in the shot since that big rock is there.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    The first two are ok.

NOw don't take this the wrong way. I completely didn't get #3. I actually had to google Whitebaiting (though I had a feeling I knew what it meant). Now maybe I'm losing it, but I swear that looks like a barbie doll about to dive of that little cliff. Completely bizarre and I like it. I don't even need the guy w/ the net at the bottom. Also the processing with the weird edges, I agree with Pedagirl, it looks like your thumbs got in the way in the bottom portion. I like it, though I'm not sure you intended what I see in this shot :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    luxbugluxbug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    My favorite is #2 (cool cat), for the sense of calm it conveys. I like the raindrops running down window, and love the highlights on the cat's chest. I'm picturing that a little more contrast might accentuate the highlights more, and would love to see the left part of the window frame cropped out of the image.
    - Karen
    Luxbug on SmugMug
    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    I also like the cat (with the window frame cropped out as was mentioned). #1 is good, but not as unique as #2.

As for #3, it's interesting, but yes, strange. The birds throw me off, they seem to be in odd places (on top of the woman's head). I'm also not crazy about the vignette, maybe taking the strength down some would help.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2011
    Thanks for the comments.
    Liz - I won't take the comments the wrong way. In fact, is good learning exercise that picture has to stand on its own. The "barbie doll" is the statue of Wairaka - a well known landmark locally, but can now understand that would mean nothing to anyone who has not seen or heard of Wairaka. The photo more taken as a general view of Whakatane - a calendar or tourist shot, rather than trying to convey anything.

Have re-cropped #2 of the cat, and tried changing the contrast. Is this better?

C201109251004951WetSundayAfter-X2.jpg
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Yes, much!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    I really like the way you have tweaked #2 - my favorite of the set. Strengthening the contrast and cropping it a bit to eliminate the window frame worked well! (With #1 I am curious whether there is ice or water coating the leaves?)
  • Options
    PrecariousPrecarious Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2011
    #1 is the winner for me. A whole lot of character in such a simple image. Reminds me a frame for a silent film. It's got that quality.

#2 is not my favorite but your rework of it really brings it to a new level.

#3 is great in that surrealist kind of way. I agree the corner treatment should be removed though. So much strangeness - the mound with the oddly posed feminine figure atop, bird overhead (Holy Spirit) and one winging its way over the head of the figure with the net, the land separated by water from the mound with its shape echoed by the land behind it. There is some heavy symbolism here that I can't quite put my finger on and that is the what the best surrealism does to me. I say great job!

Oh, wait. Now I get it. The male is (active) conscious mind netting content (ideas, inspiration, direction) from the sea of the unconscious. The female is the statuesque perfection encompassed by the idealized forms only reached through the female (passive) unconscious mind (water, the sea). The goal being to bring her connection to creator into the conscious realm, thus the bird approaches as an indication of success. She stands atop the mound (above conscious awareness) as a hint at the mysterious land beyond (the new world, heaven), of which she is personal emissary.

:whew

I'm pretty sure this is what you were thinking as you snapped the photo... lol3.gif
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I could be a fan of # 1 but there is something about the processing that bothers me...I don't care for the outlined look of the leaves...the reworked number 2 is lovely...it's a common scene, but with a wonderful touch...
    # 3 is bizarre, and really kind of great in it's own way, but the title doesn't tell me anything...
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    The reworked #2 gets my vote!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    #2 is nice and I like the rework. But #3 really holds my attention.
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    redleash wrote: »
    The reworked #2 gets my vote!

I agree! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2011
    Thanks all for the comments.
    Originally posted by sapphire73
    (With #1 I am curious whether there is ice or water coating the leaves?)

There is no water or ice on the leaves - just the sun was shining through, and then playing round with the luminance in pp.

Precarious - interesting explanation of the #3 - actually was more concerned with composition, focus, etc when taking the shot. That be nice picture of a Whitebaiter in front of Wairaka (the statue) with the sun sparkling on the river, trying to balance Whale Island behind, while the seagulls just always seem to get into the frame.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I especially enjoy photo #1. It more of a rare-scene to me and its nicely captured. #2 is nice, its a bit blurry but it plays to the same tune of the mood its in so it works.