Commercial Architecture shoot

jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
edited September 29, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I live in central Mass, and have been working this high end woodworking company to use me FOREVER. We finally got a job to shoot for them. It was an entire basement done with a wine cellar, wine tasting room, pool table and bar room, kitchen, and media room. It was totally gorgeous.

These pictures are going to be used in print catalogs, portfolios, and on there website. I have never done anything like this before, so PLEASE(!) give me honest C&C

Here are my favorites, but anyone wanting to skim all 60 pics, here is the link: http://www.jarboedoggart.com/Special-Requests/Woodmeister-Sept/

IMG8512-XL.jpg

IMG2747-XL.jpg

IMG2755-XL.jpg

IMG8485-XL.jpg

IMG8600-XL.jpg

IMG8509-XL.jpg
-Nate
Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 26, 2011
    Ok since you asked...
    First, next time you post several pictures and ask for C&C, number them so it is easier to refer back.

In all the shots you posted the WB is different in each one. The colors are different in every shot.
    In #1, the line of the tile at the bottom is crooked as is the carpet.
    In #2, you are showing part of the crown molding in the upper right corner. It looks out of place.
    In #3, the wide angle lens distorted EVERYTHING.
    In #6, the pool table is distorted and there is a bit of a greenish tint.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Jarbo,

I'm sorry, I need to me honest. These images are not professional grade architectural images.

There are white balance, distortion, lighting and compositional issues. I view this as a good first attempt to anylize what need to be done the next time.

Sorry,

Sam
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Jarbo,

I'm sorry, I need to me honest. These images are not professional grade architectural images.

There are white balance, distortion, lighting and compositional issues. I view this as a good first attempt to anylize what need to be done the next time.

Sorry,

Sam

No need to be sorry, I value everyone opinions. I asked for it! Due to room size restrictions, I had to use my Canon 10-22mm in some of the shots, however understand why that needs to be avoided at all costs. after looking again, white balance definitely needs to be relooked at before delivery of the final product. (and its Nate, Jarboe is the last name of my co-photographer/business partner)

Thanks Sam.
    captain78 wrote: »
    Ok since you asked...
    First, next time you post several pictures and ask for C&C, number them so it is easier to refer back.

In all the shots you posted the WB is different in each one. The colors are different in every shot.
    In #1, the line of the tile at the bottom is crooked as is the carpet.
    In #2, you are showing part of the crown molding in the upper right corner. It looks out of place.
    In #3, the wide angle lens distorted EVERYTHING.
    In #6, the pool table is distorted and there is a bit of a greenish tint.

Thank you for your quick and straight forward critique. Some things will not be fixable, but that is good feedback before relooking at them tonight. Thanks.
    -Nate
    Nate,

you can adjust some of the distortion in Photoshop using lens corection and warp. Also by using layers and masks you can adjust exposure selectively for various areas of the image.

Sam
  • D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    Tough doing those type of Shots
    With a zoom lens on a DSLR camera,BUT...
    Photoshop is your friend here and I am sure you can make them a bunch nicer to the eye with some work on the computer.
    Two of my more favorite architectural photographers,Totally different approaches ,but spectacular results.Their lighting and their styling are wonderful.Not to mention their POST processing which they both admit is a great part of their work.
    To be fair I know Chris uses an Alpa on some work ,not sure what camera Ashely uses ,but I am sure it is MF.I have contacted Chris before,nice as he can be and it seems Ashely is the same.
    I learned a bunch by studying other peoples work that I respected.I still look over other peoples work and try to figure out how they did the shot.It is a little harder today with the advent of layers and such....
    http://christopherbarrett.net/
    http://www.ashleymorrison.com/
    Let us see after you correct a few things in Post if you would.
    D_C_NC wrote: »
    With a zoom lens on a DSLR camera,BUT...
    Photoshop is your friend here and I am sure you can make them a bunch nicer to the eye with some work on the computer.
    Two of my more favorite architectural photographers,Totally different approaches ,but spectacular results.Their lighting and their styling are wonderful.Not to mention their POST processing which they both admit is a great part of their work.
    To be fair I know Chris uses an Alpa on some work ,not sure what camera Ashely uses ,but I am sure it is MF.I have contacted Chris before,nice as he can be and it seems Ashely is the same.
    I learned a bunch by studying other peoples work that I respected.I still look over other peoples work and try to figure out how they did the shot.It is a little harder today with the advent of layers and such....
    http://christopherbarrett.net/
    http://www.ashleymorrison.com/
    Let us see after you correct a few things in Post if you would.

Thank you very much for the links.

I didn't realize how important having vertical verticals was, didn't think the skewed proportions was a big deal. But after reading the posts here and looking around at other photographers, I have started reworking all the shots. Here is a few:

NEW #2
    i-kPPDm5x-XL.jpg

OLD#2
    IMG2747-XL.jpg

NEW #3
    i-vLWdgVN-XL.jpg

OLD #3
    IMG2755-XL.jpg

NEW #6
    i-3pLM7pW-XL.jpg

OLD #6
    IMG8509-XL.jpg

Thoughts? any improvement?
    -Nate
    edited September 27, 2011
    I think this is a definite improvement. I personally would toss the pool table shot. :D

Still looks a little warm or over saturated but much better. One thing that would help is to have the camera (on a tripod) at about half the height of the ceiling and shooting level. When you angle up or down it accentuates the distortion and provides in general a more natural view.

See the images are better already. Think what the next shoot will be like.

Sam
    edited September 27, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I think this is a definite improvement. I personally would toss the pool table shot. :D

Still looks a little warm or over saturated but much better. One thing that would help is to have the camera (on a tripod) at about half the height of the ceiling and shooting level. When you angle up or down it accentuates the distortion and provides in general a more natural view.

See the images are better already. Think what the next shoot will be like.

Sam

Thanks, It has been a great learning experience and I appreciate everyones help. I am still working through the pictures and will prob finish tonight. I will post up some of the final product so you can see how helpful you have all been.
    -Nate
    edited September 29, 2011
    Customer is happy (and pay is great with these big companies!). Here are the final delivered images:
    http://www.jarboedoggart.com/Special-Requests/Woodmeister-Sept/19177545_6gv9SM#1502168796_VnSH2HL
    I really love coming here for a reality check. Its a bit depressing at first, but is so helpful in the long run. Thank you all again for the pointers.

Here a few picks:
    EDIT: now that I look at it, the last one is still a bit green/yellow

IMG2746-2-XL.jpg

IMG2753-2-XL.jpg

IMG8586-2-XL.jpg

IMG8512-2-XL.jpg
    -Nate
    I checked out the images on your web page and I think they came out pretty well.

Sam
  • D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    A happy client means a job well done.The photos look a bunch better and what a nice place to be in working.