Options

Afloat

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited October 1, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all,
I was hoping to participate in this challenge.
This is what I've come up with so far.

618332818582421b5795b-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Hey Liz- how are ya? I noticed that no one answered, so I thought I would. I usually love your work but this one isn't grabbing me. I think it's the processing and the white/dark streak across her chest. The hair just seems like a mix of blur/matted and she looks scared. You are one of the few people to which I can say "I know you can do better" and I know you can!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    I like the model but not the pose. It was interesting that you were trying to do something with the water. but I agree with the post above the girl looks scared and it gives this picture a really awkward feel that doesn't draw you in.
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    Like the concept but wonder what it might look like after reshooting? It took me awhile to "read" this one even with the title. :)
  • Options
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Hey Liz- how are ya? I noticed that no one answered, so I thought I would. I usually love your work but this one isn't grabbing me. I think it's the processing and the white/dark streak across her chest. The hair just seems like a mix of blur/matted and she looks scared. You are one of the few people to which I can say "I know you can do better" and I know you can!

Thank you for the really nice reply:)
    I had a feeling when I heard crickets chirping that this one was a no go.

Though I like the idea. So I re shot :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    I like the model but not the pose. It was interesting that you were trying to do something with the water. but I agree with the post above the girl looks scared and it gives this picture a really awkward feel that doesn't draw you in.

I was going for etheral:)
    I shot again, but the results are.....well I'll let you guys comment.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Like the concept but wonder what it might look like after reshooting? It took me awhile to "read" this one even with the title. :)

thank you I did just that.
    The floating I think is more evident on the reshoot, though I'm not longer going for floating, go figure rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    I liked the idea because of her hair and because I frequently tell her to let me untangle her hair so she doesn't look like Medusa.

So i thought...

2. MEDUSA
    sp-8-L.jpg

I wanted to make her almost not real looking. I will clone out her fingertip at the bottom of the shot. Kind of creepy no?

differnet processing, different shot, same title--I'm trying to not make it look like she's in water.

sp-7-L.jpg

Feels good to be back, even if I miss the boat :D.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    PrecariousPrecarious Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    I like all of these... but I'm a little strange like that. The first one is ethereal as you intended. I'm a sucker for a stark background that forced the subject into isolation. (That pretty much sums up all of my photos.) And I like the questionable nature of her expression - like a ghostly, passive observer. There is a beautiful peacefulness about it.

I think the medusa pics would be much more effective if you could darken the tone of the background hair to that of the hair in the foreground. That may be more processing than you are up for but the difference in tone makes it look like something in the distance. Cool idea though.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    I like #2, but agree that the hair should be darkened.

Beautiful little girl!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Precarious wrote: »
    I like all of these... but I'm a little strange like that. The first one is ethereal as you intended. I'm a sucker for a stark background that forced the subject into isolation. (That pretty much sums up all of my photos.) And I like the questionable nature of her expression - like a ghostly, passive observer. There is a beautiful peacefulness about it.

Gotta say that I agree with the above comment (including the "I'm a little strange like that" part). I love the tonal range in the first one with the high key exposure in the face. Liz, I often find your stuff appealing, but also see the edginess that may not play well with others. Keep it up - it adds an important visual voice to the mix here.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I prefer number one as well. I love the composition and the high key processing. It is a picture with a story...I'm not sure what the story is, but it intrigues me! :)
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2011
    Precarious wrote: »

I think the medusa pics would be much more effective if you could darken the tone of the background hair to that of the hair in the foreground. That may be more processing than you are up for but the difference in tone makes it look like something in the distance. Cool idea though.

Aaah a fellow strange person.
    Yes I still keep going back to #1 myself.
    I don't know if I can pull of the matching of the hair on the other, but I am going to give it a go.
    Thanks!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I like #2, but agree that the hair should be darkened.

Beautiful little girl!

Thanks Sandi. I have to say my little girl is easy to work with, but I seem to steer towards the creepy when shooting her rolleyes1.gif and she likes the outcome.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    billseye wrote: »
    Gotta say that I agree with the above comment (including the "I'm a little strange like that" part). I love the tonal range in the first one with the high key exposure in the face. Liz, I often find your stuff appealing, but also see the edginess that may not play well with others. Keep it up - it adds an important visual voice to the mix here.

Thanks Bill. I'm glad you find my work appealing. I know sometimes it goes off the deep end.
    It will likely be 1 or 2 on this set, but I did shoot something last night that i have yet to process and it might just work. Thanks again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    I prefer number one as well. I love the composition and the high key processing. It is a picture with a story...I'm not sure what the story is, but it intrigues me! :)

The white bathtub against her hair just screamed for high key. My camera also did something funky (my old e620 which has needed repair for a bit) and it blasted out the original (nothing was wrong with the settings) but I wound up liking the end result. I agree it's an odd shot. I myself tried to pin point the feeling and still feel like you, not sure what the story should be.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    For both images, I'm not sure if you're going for an abstract feel because they're both a tad off-focus or blurry, almost as if hand-movement played a part in the final composition. In your 1st photo, there's a bit of a red-tone to the image, I'm not sure if that was intentional; the hair is also lighter on the left hand side whereas the portions around her head is darker, its something to look into ;)