Options

New Cintiq 21UX

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited September 26, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Greetings,

wondering if anyone has/had any experience with this tool.

i know it is pricey.. but I am rather curious and tempted. mouse is killing my hands...:scratch
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,867 moderator
    edited September 26, 2011
    It's not just pricey, it's around $3000USD?

If you find a conventional sized mouse to be painful, I found a pen/stylus to be more painful for long editing sessions. Still, it's hard to beat a digital, pressure-sensitive pen for really fine control "and" speed. (I used a Wacom graphics tablet at my previous employer.)

I suggest a more conventional sized tablet and pen in addition to a conventional mouse. Alternating between the two can give your hand/fingers some needed change to help avoid some type of strain. Also do some stretching exercises during long sessions.

You can rent graphics tablets to see if it meets your needs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ziggy, thank you for chiming in.

the unit i'm looking at is 2K.. Yes, it is expensive. I tried using conventional tablets, and just don't find them comfortable - I need to see where I am pointing my cursor.. It is just a weird quirk of mine. weird, I know.

I have been doing stretching etc.

Another good point - renting.. I'll see if I can rent the unit, and see if that will truly fit my needs. Maybe, it is just the idea that sounds good, and truly it is going to be just as uncomfortable to me.
    thank you again.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    I have the 21UX. One of its features is that it is quick and easy to tilt it down flat and work on like a piece of paper on a desk, which makes it much more comfortable to use for long editing sessions.

You can have it vertical like a conventional display too, but holding a pen up to the vertical display gets tiersome. When it's horizontal the display holds the weight of your forarm, like writing on a desk.

It has an IPS panel in it, which makes it good for images. I mostly use it in live webcasts where I am doing "chalk talks" onto of diagrams or code for programs and for making instructional videos. I use it for images too, but that not the thing I get to spend as much time as I would like on.

I have used conventional tablets in the past, but I guess my eye hand coordination isn't up to that "action at a distance thing". I've know some people who have absolutely no problem working on a conventional tablet, but that is not me.

Also a lot of times a conventional tablet is used to trace a picture drawn on paper rather than draw on from scratch. A conventional table is fine for that.

Keep in mind that even on the Cintiq the cursor is typically not exactly under your pen tip... there is a parallax effect due to the thickness of the front of the display. Some of it can be calibrated out and the rest you can easily get used to.

It's a glossy screen so you will have to arrange you lighting so it doesn't reflect in it.

Overall it is really nice to work with. Except for cost I don't think you would choose a conventional tablet over it. Mechanically it is very well made. Whether it is worth the extra cost is a personal choice of course.

Foques wrote: »
    Ziggy, thank you for chiming in.

the unit i'm looking at is 2K.. Yes, it is expensive. I tried using conventional tablets, and just don't find them comfortable - I need to see where I am pointing my cursor.. It is just a weird quirk of mine. weird, I know.

I have been doing stretching etc.

Another good point - renting.. I'll see if I can rent the unit, and see if that will truly fit my needs. Maybe, it is just the idea that sounds good, and truly it is going to be just as uncomfortable to me.
    thank you again.
  • Options
    Dan, thank you so very much for posting this!!
    My Site
    My Facebook