Options

Monotone challenge #86: help deciding, please?

luxbugluxbug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited October 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi, Any comments/critiques on how these can be improved would be greatly appreciated. Also, which one might be a good entry for the Monotone #86 challenge? Thank you!

1)
monotone-peace-barn2-8637-2-L.jpg

2)
monotone-peace-barn2-8637-L.jpg

3)
monotone-peace-barn2-8637-1-L.jpg

4)
monotone-peace-barn2-8637-3-L.jpg
- Karen
Luxbug on SmugMug
“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    My choices are #1 - like the textures and lighting, and #3 - love the dogs expression (also have a soft spot for collies).
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I like 2, although I'd crop out the upper left hand corner of background.

I think all the conversions could benefit from a bit more oomph - the lighting is a little flat, but how you handle the black and white can really bump up the interest in them. Have fun playing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    I actually like the bit of background in #2...to sort of set the scene. I think that particular photo has the most detail and interest for me.
    good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you torrbrae, divamum and powder for your feedback - your thoughts and direction are much appreciated!
    - Karen
    Luxbug on SmugMug
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    1- doesn't have enough pop
    2- has a nice dynamic black and white treatment and it has a great texture and subject matter people really like now but it doesn't have enough going on for me
    3- i love the subject but I would love a lower more interesting angle that brings you right in to the dog's world.
    4- I kind of really like this one. Are there other shots you took of this set up or is it the only one you have to choose from?
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    Great variety of subjects! I like all of them. #2 is my favorite (textures, processing, etc.) but might feel differently if you reshoot the others. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2011
    Thanks, sapphire73, for your helpful feedback, and thanks greenegg for your comments! All are helping me decide which to use and how to modify the post-processing. Converting and playing with a couple others, too. Regarding #4, I only captured one image of that scene, although there are different cropping options (this one was cropped down quite a bit).
    - Karen
    Luxbug on SmugMug
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I like #2... great detail.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    Number 2...but do you have MORE roof (therefore MORE background?) I would like to play with the crop on this...and as Divamum said, pop the processing a bit..
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Number 2...but do you have MORE roof (therefore MORE background?) I would like to play with the crop on this...and as Divamum said, pop the processing a bit..

I only took one, and the only cropping was to straighten it out a tad. Will see if I can improve the pop! Thanks much.
    - Karen
    Luxbug on SmugMug