Sawtooth Lake

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited October 2, 2011 in Landscapes
I did a 10 mile overnight backpack trip last weekend in the Sawtooth Wilderness near Stanley, Idaho. The hike was strenuous but well worth it. The skies were clear, yet I'm trying to convince myself that the photos didn't really need clouds anyway :) The winds never settled down, so no calm waters either. Can't expect perfect conditions just because I picked a certain day to photograph, but I think I got a couple of decent shots. Thanks for taking a look.

DSC0073-Version-2-XL.jpg

DSC0054-XL.jpg

DSC0078-XL.jpg

DSC0104-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    They are beautiful. Well done Trey
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    Worth the hike. I feel your pain...I never get clouds when I go to the Sawtooths. Beautiful location...you got some unique perspectives. I really like 1. The light on the peak in the last one seems a little harsh but still a very nice photo.
    Nice work!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    lovely! i think the first one is my favorite, but they're all excellent!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to try to go back to the Sawtooths in another week or so. I've got to lighten my pack though...my back's been sore all week :)
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    Beautiful series!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Really nice series Trey, the mountain range is beautiful. How long of a hike was it?
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    Really nice series, that last one is really sweet. This looks like a good location for some full moon star trails?
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Really nice series, that last one is really sweet. This looks like a good location for some full moon star trails?

15524779-Ti.gif — If you had clear skies that would be perfect for star trails!! Even if you did a double exposure and overlaid a sunset shot, leaving the tripod there until the stars came out... Try it when you go back :)
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited October 2, 2011
    These are all beautiful; the first is my favorite.

--- Denise
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    ront wrote: »
    Beautiful series!!

Ron

Thanks Ron!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice series Trey, the mountain range is beautiful. How long of a hike was it?

Hey Doug....10 miles round trip, around 1750ft gain...lots of switchbacks :)
    bryanj87 wrote: »

Ah yes...the star trail shots. I've never done this before and yet I know I had a good opportunity to do so. I'll definitely try next time!
    Alpha_Plus wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif — If you had clear skies that would be perfect for star trails!! Even if you did a double exposure and overlaid a sunset shot, leaving the tripod there until the stars came out... Try it when you go back :)

I've seen a lot of great star trail shots in the mountains from my fellow dgrinners, so I better get my act together and try this! :)
    These are all beautiful; the first is my favorite.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise!