Options

Turn around for showing the newly married couple the photos.....

KristineDurkin79KristineDurkin79 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited September 28, 2011 in Weddings
I had a wedding on Sunday, and Monday afternoon the bride was asking to see the finished photos....I was kinda shocked....I have 300+ images to edit....on top of being a mother to a 4yr old and 3 yr old (who is in a full leg cast), and a wife....

I have a contract with her, and it states that her gallery will be ready 5-8 days from time of event (which might be pushing it)....and she was irritated when I explained to her that she couldnt see them yet.....

So my question is, how long does it usually take to show the gallery of edited images? I'm wondering if I need to change my contract info....:dunno

Also, here is one from thee wedding...do I need to get rid of the shade ring? C&C please!

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    I usually say when they are done. But mostly, I try to show them the blog entry within three weeks. Definitely change the wording in your contract that within three weeks images can be seen. Or something along those lines.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    I would say minimum of 3 weeks to have something to show.

I would get rid of the shade ring.

Sherry
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    Not a pro, here, but as a recent father of the bride I was not surprised that the completed proofs took 6 weeks. A couple of teasers sent digitally in advance to give us at least a crumb!! I was aware that digital processing takes time. (Aunt Gertrude's pics were ready the next day. It's just not the same thing.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    I'm a pro and my contract states 6-8 weeks. I'm going to take a wild guess here... this was a lower budget bride. The lower the budget, the higher the expectations. So I think the word of advice here is: you must set expectations before the wedding. Tell them when they can expect the 1st photo, the first 100, the whole thing; when to expect to review an album layout, how many edit rounds they get, and how long til they get the final product. Everyone has it done differently, but setting expectations is crucial. So in my case they will see 2-3 photos on my Facebook page that they can share within the first week, then another subset of the whole thing within 2 weeks, and the whole shebang within 8 weeks. I basically explain that I take thousands of photos, and I review each and every single one of them, so that takes a lot of time. Then I take the time to edit every single one to the best of its potential - and that also takes love and time. I explain that I'm grateful that they appreciate the care I take to craft their works of photographic art and to keep tuned while the magic is happening :D
    Hope that helps!
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    My contract states six weeks. I have done next day delivery though too - not common, but I have done it. The trick is to learn to edit quickly.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    300+ images to edit? Sounds like the average hour in my work week! (I manage workflow for a local wedding photo team.) Usually, I cull 10,000 images per week and color correct ~3,000 images per week. It's ALL about speed! And, on top of that, it's all about client expectations. TELL THEM up front how long they can expect to wait. 6-8 weeks is DEFINITELY not too long, especially during the peak season for a part-time professional. Of course it should be your goal to deliver the photos in half that time, but the whole "under-promise, over-deliver" thing is a tangent of it's own...

I gotta say though, in this day and age you really do need to get something in their hands asap if you're hoping to make a lasting impression on the client, and solidify your business. Personally, it's my goal to get a 200-300 image slideshow online within 1-7 days of the wedding, just as a teaser. (The client will usually get 800-1200.)

Good luck! Definitely change your contract, though. As a part-time pro and a mother, 5-8 days for delivery is definitely biting off way more than you can chew...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    I usually say when they are done. But mostly, I try to show them the blog entry within three weeks. Definitely change the wording in your contract that within three weeks images can be seen. Or something along those lines.

Sweet! Thanks for the input....contract will be changed asap...
  • Options
    slpollett wrote: »
    I would say minimum of 3 weeks to have something to show.

I would get rid of the shade ring.

Sherry

Thanks....and the shade ring is gone! :D
  • Options
    sphynge wrote: »
    I'm a pro and my contract states 6-8 weeks. I'm going to take a wild guess here... this was a lower budget bride. The lower the budget, the higher the expectations. So I think the word of advice here is: you must set expectations before the wedding. Tell them when they can expect the 1st photo, the first 100, the whole thing; when to expect to review an album layout, how many edit rounds they get, and how long til they get the final product. Everyone has it done differently, but setting expectations is crucial. So in my case they will see 2-3 photos on my Facebook page that they can share within the first week, then another subset of the whole thing within 2 weeks, and the whole shebang within 8 weeks. I basically explain that I take thousands of photos, and I review each and every single one of them, so that takes a lot of time. Then I take the time to edit every single one to the best of its potential - and that also takes love and time. I explain that I'm grateful that they appreciate the care I take to craft their works of photographic art and to keep tuned while the magic is happening :D
    Hope that helps!

I'm what I consider a newbie....and actually told the bride I didnt want to do it in the beginning. I had been a second shooter a handful of times, and had only done 2 weddings on my own....but she insisted that she loved my work, and we were friends in high school, and she wouldnt take no for an answer. She was on somewhat of a budget...so yes, she was a "lower budget-bride"...The other 2 weddings I had done on my own, were fairly small and the contract worked out nicely....I didnt even think to change my contract. Live and Learn....I hope you dont mind, but I used "I take thousands of photos, and I review each and every single one of them, so that takes a lot of time. Then I take the time to edit every single one to the best of its potential - and that also takes love and time. I explain that I'm grateful that they appreciate the care I take to craft their works of photographic art and to keep tuned while the magic is happening", word for word...and she completely understood....Thanks a bunch for the help! And now my contract is fixed! thumb.gif
  • Options
    My contract states six weeks. I have done next day delivery though too - not common, but I have done it. The trick is to learn to edit quickly.

I'm trying to learn to edit quickly.....its not working so well....rolleyes1.gif

I did provide her with a few on my Facebook page as teasers...which I think caused her to want to see the rest...go figure...
  • Options
    300+ images to edit? Sounds like the average hour in my work week! (I manage workflow for a local wedding photo team.) Usually, I cull 10,000 images per week and color correct ~3,000 images per week. It's ALL about speed! And, on top of that, it's all about client expectations. TELL THEM up front how long they can expect to wait. 6-8 weeks is DEFINITELY not too long, especially during the peak season for a part-time professional. Of course it should be your goal to deliver the photos in half that time, but the whole "under-promise, over-deliver" thing is a tangent of it's own...

I gotta say though, in this day and age you really do need to get something in their hands asap if you're hoping to make a lasting impression on the client, and solidify your business. Personally, it's my goal to get a 200-300 image slideshow online within 1-7 days of the wedding, just as a teaser. (The client will usually get 800-1200.)

Good luck! Definitely change your contract, though. As a part-time pro and a mother, 5-8 days for delivery is definitely biting off way more than you can chew...

=Matt=

Thanks so much Matt....

I couldnt imagine the amount of work that you do....makes my head hurt just thinking about it..which obviously shows who is the pro, and who isnt! :)

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    I am not a pro by any means, but any large shoot I quote at least 3 weeks.
    The weddings that I have coming up next year are quoted at 8 weeks. I'll do it way sooner, I hope, but I want to take my time and get local's opinions before I release them to the couple :)

8 days would definitely not be enough for me... perhaps, it is because I have 10-12 hour days with my full time job, currently.. or that I can't do what Matt does, and I feel like I must spend time with every image, and make it work the best.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    People in todays world expect everything immediately. Society has gotten used to instant gratification, so I believe the longer you make someone wait for their pictures, the less excitement they will have for them and respect for you.

I've been doing my best this summer to have pictures up on my website within a week of shooting. I don't go through and do every single edit I would do on a photo if I'm selling it. I just do basic editing for the first round, like crop, color correct if I need to, and sharpen. Don't spend your time doing every single edit on every single picture. You won't sell everyone, so let them see their pics soon. I tell my brides that the pics are on my site for you to see. Then I tell them that I'll do more edits to the pictures that they would like to purchase. I'll also do more edits to the pics I choose for the album. I don't do much of this heavy post processing so many people are doing with all these actions and stuff. So, my 2nd round of edits isn't far off from my first round. If you are someone who needs to do heavy post for whatever reason, then my way won't work for you. I like to also throw a few teaser pics out on Facebook and tag them within a few days of the wedding. This lets the bride know that you are already working on her pics, and if your few pics are good, it gets them even more excited to see what all you have.

I hope this helps.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Erbeman wrote: »
    People in todays world expect everything immediately. Society has gotten used to instant gratification, so I believe the longer you make someone wait for their pictures, the less excitement they will have for them and respect for you.

I've been doing my best this summer to have pictures up on my website within a week of shooting. I don't go through and do every single edit I would do on a photo if I'm selling it. I just do basic editing for the first round, like crop, color correct if I need to, and sharpen. Don't spend your time doing every single edit on every single picture. You won't sell everyone, so let them see their pics soon. I tell my brides that the pics are on my site for you to see. Then I tell them that I'll do more edits to the pictures that they would like to purchase. I'll also do more edits to the pics I choose for the album. I don't do much of this heavy post processing so many people are doing with all these actions and stuff. So, my 2nd round of edits isn't far off from my first round. If you are someone who needs to do heavy post for whatever reason, then my way won't work for you. I like to also throw a few teaser pics out on Facebook and tag them within a few days of the wedding. This lets the bride know that you are already working on her pics, and if your few pics are good, it gets them even more excited to see what all you have.

I hope this helps.

It definitely helps...I have mainly done basic edits, but then I will come across a few that I am in love with, and end up spending forever on it....I put up some teasers on facebook, and she says she is really excited to see the rest...working my booty off...too bad that doesnt actually happen!