Options

S9000 is a DSLR Killer

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited October 22, 2005 in Cameras
Hello All,

For me, that is for myself only, my photo shoot of yesterday convinces me that my new S9000 is a DSLR Killer as well as an R-1 Killer.

The shoot was shot in RAW, Fuji Converted to 50 MB Tiff, processed in PS CS,
reduced to 1000 pixel JPEG, saved as level 9.

Many of these shots would not be possible (for me) without the S9000.

After seeing them on screen and in print, I can confidently report I was never able to obtain the color, tone, and crispness of these photos with my D30, D60, nor my F-828.

I no longer have to keep reading about the latest cameras coming out. The S9000 can fill my needs handily.

This report expresses only my opinion and how the camera relates to myself. I share it with you as I think you may find this report interesting.

Photos from yesterday's shoot:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/893565

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Hello All,

For me, that is for myself only, my photo shoot of yesterday convinces me that my new S9000 is a DSLR Killer as well as an R-1 Killer.

The shoot was shot in RAW, Fuji Converted to 50 MB Tiff, processed in PS CS,
    reduced to 1000 pixel JPEG, saved as level 9.

Many of these shots would not be possible (for me) without the S9000.

After seeing them on screen and in print, I can confidently report I was never able to obtain the color, tone, and crispness of these photos with my D30, D60, nor my F-828.

I no longer have to keep reading about the latest cameras coming out. The S9000 can fill my needs handily.

This report expresses only my opinion and how the camera relates to myself. I share it with you as I think you may find this report interesting.

Photos from yesterday's shoot:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/893565

Regards, Nicholas
    hey Nick,

I'm glad that you are happy with your new camera and your pics look pretty good too. I just have problems with terms like "DSLR Killer".
    DCresources were not all that thrilled with the camera in their review

The shortcoming they listed were:
    • While better than fixed lens cameras, images are noisier than similarly priced D-SLRs
    • Anti-blur mode works at stabilizing images, but increased noise limits output options; optical image stabilizers are better for this
    • Sluggish performance in some areas: RAW recording, continuous shooting write times, playback mode
    • Camera offers RAW mode but no software to do anything with it; RAW option is buried in setup menu
    • No focus distance shown on LCD/EVF in manual focus mode
    • Full shutter speed range only available in M mode
    • Body suffers from "button clutter"
    I'm not saying its a bad camera, just that its not a "DSLR Killer". It looks like a fine camera in its class.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Glad you are enjoying your new camera but there are a few "s9000 killers" in what I've been able to see.
    • sluggish raw compared to the D70s Nikon DSLR
    • pretty noisy higher ISO from the comparo shots I've seen
    • no external ttl flash - I absolutely love Nikon's iTTL systen with sb800 flash
    • and it's virtually as big as many DSLRs
    I'm not kicking your s9000. I'm glad it's working for you and your shots look pretty nice - love the blues in the one car. But different tools for different folks and it's probably not a DSLR killer for many of us.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    [*]Camera offers RAW mode but no software to do anything with it; RAW option is buried in setup menu

Since he seems to be able to open the RAWs with Photoshop, the lack of bundled software isn't a problem. Heck, when I got my Rebel XT, I never installed the Canon software. (Transfer using desktop copy, convert using Adobe Raw)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Hey, Nick. Glad you like your camera!

Post some more pics!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Nice pics of some nutty looking cars!

Glad you like your new camera. What makes you feel like you can't capture the same images with a DSLR?
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Since he seems to be able to open the RAWs with Photoshop, the lack of bundled software isn't a problem. Heck, when I got my Rebel XT, I never installed the Canon software. (Transfer using desktop copy, convert using Adobe Raw)
    If I read right, he converted to TIFF first.
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Nice photos but have you tried it on a moving target my S7000 is not so good but my DSLR is
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Just an opinion from a Fuji user. I have an S5100 and my buddy uses a 9000 and we feel that both cameras (and probably the 7000 also) are pretty good cameras in the "compact" catagory but they suffer from a few drawbacks which I personally am only willing to live with until I can afford something better.

#1 Auto focus is slow and "iffy" at 10x. The camera is useless for following birds and other moving targets and the lens is not great at 10x

#2 Pretty noisy at 400 iso. Fortunately it offers a slow iso 64.

#3 Manual focus does not magnify the target when employed ... "M" stands for "Maybe"? rolleyes1.gif

#4 In camera sharpening is too much, even on "Normal" setting ... Looks like digital sharpening overdone. This is a personal preference as I prefer my images a little on the soft side simialar to what you might expect from a color neg. like Reala. I set it to "soft".

#4 At least on the 5100 the meter sensitivity is insufficient to read moonlit landscapes.

#5 Low light focusing can be "iffy" but the focus assist illuminator helps.

WHAT DO I LIKE about these cameras?

#1 Color rendition and saturation are excellent.

#2 White balace is good; especially the manual settings. They're a good match for for the various color temperatures that they are supposed to correct for.

#3 When shooting in Jpeg mode Fuji offers two different color processing options. "Standard" is quite realistic and yields files that appear very similer to what I get when I shoot Reala color negative on my SLR. "Chrome" as the term obviously implies is an attemt to simulate the results that you get with color transparency. thumb.gif Thumbs up to Fuji on this one ... it's beautiful!

You get what you pay for and these cameras are definitely very good for the price. My S5100 is every bit as good as my wife's Olympus C4040 and it has better zoom range, BUT they don't measure up to any DSLR over $1200. Not by a long shot.

Bob
    See with your Heart