Meltdown

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in Landscapes
September in the Three Sisters Wilderness, Oregon, the melting glacier water cuts through snow beds creating these "snow caves." This particular one I crawled on my hands and knees (and stomach!) about 50 feet and set up in the freezing water to take a shot. It wasn't that bad, really, but it was cold. This was a three shot blend for depth of field and exposure. I processed it black and white with a blue cast to hopefully show that cold atmosphere. Thanks for looking!

Meltdown-720x720.jpg

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    Whoa, that is very cool. did you light paint this scene at all? Give us an idea how long this ice tunnel is. Very unique shot.
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    I really can't describe this photo, other than that it AMAZING! I love the textures and light here! Well done!
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Whoa, that is very cool. did you light paint this scene at all? Give us an idea how long this ice tunnel is. Very unique shot.

Thanks, Doug, good hearing from you. I did not do any light painting. I just laid down with my tripod barely out of the water and shot. The crawl back out, incidentally, caused a malfunction of the circuitry that controls the shutter when it got wet, and for the rest of the trip my shutter would misfire and give me an error message :(
    This ice tunnel was about a hundred feet long, and the highest clearance around 4 feet. I shot exposures for the light at the end of the tunnel, ceiling, and foreground water motion and blended. I generally would have liked a shorter shutter speed for the water, but it was VERY dark in there. My water shot was already well over 1000 ISO, and at f/11 that gave several seconds for proper exposure.

This snow cave is located under the snow bank just behind me. They are not at all obvious when hiking by.

i-9vJZst9-M.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Very interesting processing technique Chris. Love the effect you are getting. Hope the camera recovered.
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Very interesting processing technique Chris. Love the effect you are getting. Hope the camera recovered.

Thanks, Tom. The camera did not recover, unfortunately, had to be shipped to Canon (again). Fortuntely they fixed it for free because it was within the 6 month warranty from the last repair. I didn't tell them about the water :D
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Thanks, Tom. The camera did not recover, unfortunately, had to be shipped to Canon (again). Fortuntely they fixed it for free because it was within the 6 month warranty from the last repair. I didn't tell them about the water :D
    So you gotta hope that no one from Canon repair sees this post.rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Fantastic shot! I'm not sure I would ever have thought to crawl into one of those caves, but now I see what I'm missing. thumb.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    That shot took some guts to go after, but the reward was well worth it.....except the camera damage, but at least you have that covered. Beautifully executed!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    This is truly a great shot. Opportunity, creativity, planning and execution came together.

Quick question, how many feet of ice / snow is above the cave? I ask this because of safety concerns.

Also were you able to get in and out without getting totally wet? Did you need to actually crawl through the water?

Again very unique wonderful image. This needs to be printed up!! Maybe a metal print........:D

Sam
  • ShimalaShimala Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Very cool (and surreal) photo!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    now that's dedication! a very "cool" photo, for sure!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    thats an awesome shot !!! I just happen to stumble upon this and glad I did !! this photo has SO many elements here !! Love the tones, the composition, the water flow,, everything about it and its unusual , very nice !!
    "I'm growing older,, but not up"
    Jimmy Buffet
    edited October 3, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    This is truly a great shot. Opportunity, creativity, planning and execution came together.

Quick question, how many feet of ice / snow is above the cave? I ask this because of safety concerns.

Also were you able to get in and out without getting totally wet? Did you need to actually crawl through the water?

Again very unique wonderful image. This needs to be printed up!! Maybe a metal print........:D

Sam

Had to crawl on my hands and knees and sit to take the photo so I was totally wet. The ceiling was probably a foot or two thick of soft ice so even if it fell I wouldn't have been injured.