Options

Two Portraits, different styles.

ChristopherFChristopherF Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 30, 2011 in People
I just got some lighting equipment and have been messing around with Portraits more. I have always done natural light which I love, but sometimes the light is far from what is needed. The first shot I used a sb700 shot through a 24" softbox:

Sample-Portrait-M.jpg

My second one, is a far different style, this is my first attempt at an urban grunge look. I wished I had gotten lower to really draw the viewer in and really give it some depth, will do that next time:

Small-Fish-HDR-M.jpg

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I really like both of these, but I'm especially drawn in by the second one. I love the color and the framing, it really works. Just a tiny critique on it, I'd have liked more blur on the cars going by, or none, that way the blur (or lackthereof) seemed more intentional.

Awesome shots, thanks for sharing them!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    I like them both but the first one has great character. Watch your lens length, you have some arm distortion due to your focal length.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    I also like them both.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I like them both but the first one has great character. Watch your lens length, you have some arm distortion due to your focal length.

I like the first one as well. I think the one advantage to the distortion may be that it adds character to the image. The distortion of a wide angle can be great for adding a little humor or fun, and I think it works here. If he were serious, I can definitely see how it would be a drawback.

Great conversion, btw
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    ChristopherFChristopherF Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I was using a 35mm on the black and white portrait, on my 1.5 crop so about 52mm, so the distortion I think was due to the closeness I had to have due to the wall I was using, lol.