Options

How many photos do you provide for proofing

rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited September 30, 2011 in Weddings
I would just like to get an idea what other wedding photogs are providing clients in terms of the number of photos for proofing?

Is 1000 too much?

note: I always shoot with a 2nd photog

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Sometimes I think 600 is too much even with a 2nd.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    I don't proof. It is easier to process them all and be done with them.
    I think it depends on how many photos you want to process. 600 sounds like plenty. That is a lot of photos.
    Do you sit with your clients and go over the photos together on a monitor so they can pick their favorites?
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    zoomer wrote: »
    I don't proof. It is easier to process them all and be done with them.
    I think it depends on how many photos you want to process. 600 sounds like plenty. That is a lot of photos.
    Do you sit with your clients and go over the photos together on a monitor so they can pick their favorites?

no, I just provide them a link of the proofs and they pick what they want, I usually give them a week.

from my experience tho, some clients want the numbers. the more photos the better. so i just sort made this rule for all my clients.

so my philosophy is (or was): a client will never complain about too many photos but can and will if they don't have enough :)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    too many can be overwhelming and giving them everything is a disservice to your client. It takes time to go through all the photos and be critical of your own work, and that is a valuable service to your clients. I discuss that with my clients and help them understand that getting less from me is one of the reasons I charge what I do. It takes a lot of time to look through and pick the sharpest or most flattering!! I go through them all right away like Z says. Waiting for someone to make their picks isn't something I'm interested in doing.

As for the number it depends on what all was happening and when you started. I have a hard time culling good images even if they are redundant but I push myself to do so. I just delivered a wedding as a single shooter with 800 images but I shot from 8 am - 11 pm and it was an ethnic wedding and there was a lot of details and they did both a traditional and then a Persian ceremony so it was justifiable. that is about 1/2 of what I shot. I normally try to stay under 600 for a full day of just me and under 1000 for a full day me and 1/2 day with a 2nd. for awhile I was including 4x6 proofs and so I dropped my galleries down to 400 images and then did an extra's folder with another 5 or 600. I* just couldn't not give them up!!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    My goal is under 500 these days.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I'm in the same boat with Moogle... 500 or less (assuming it's just me shooting).
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    I'm averaging about 300-350 and shooting around 500 images.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    I feel like an idiot now but...

I go through and pic/edit MY favorites (Laughing.gif) then deliver those to the bride/groom. I edit EVERY picture that I like and hand them over whatever number I end up liking. I've never provided more than 300 for a 10 hour wedding.

I feel like I'm missing out on something now after reading all of your responses!

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I feel like an idiot now but...

I go through and pic/edit MY favorites (Laughing.gif) then deliver those to the bride/groom. I edit EVERY picture that I like and hand them over whatever number I end up liking. I've never provided more than 300 for a 10 hour wedding.

I feel like I'm missing out on something now after reading all of your responses!

You aren't missing anything except the hassle of having to work through the proofing exercise and management thereof.

I can't imagine what a headache that is if you are doing 4-6 weddings a month and your clients drag out the process for a couple months...my head hurts just thinking about it.

I process all my photos hand over the disc and say see ya. On to the next one.
    I realize that is probably not what most people do.....and if you are not turbo fast at processing this method may not work for you.