Options

Tamron lens decisions

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited October 19, 2005 in Cameras
I have been thinking about replacing the kit lens on my 300d. Since I don't have alot of money and as my wife points out I've already bought one L lens this year (70-200 f4) I have been looking at the tamron.

So I have narrowed it down to the:

28-75 2.8 XR Di

AND

24-135 3.5-5.6 AD Macro

Now here are my questions:

1. How much difference does the IF make on the 28-75? There are 2 models, one with and one without.

2. How good is the 24-135? I don't see many people with this and I can't find that many reviews. The ones I have found are good.

3. With twins on the way am I going to need that faster 2.8?

4. How well does the macro (1:1) on the 24-135 work? and How will it affect everyday shooting, if any?

5. Since I already have the 70-200 do I really need another lens in this range? There by making the 28-75 the better choice.

6. Should I just forget both of these and save some more and get the 17-40L?

Any thoughts, tips, pushes in the right direction would be helpful. I intend to use this for my walk around lens.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 18, 2005
    I have used a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di on my 10D, and then on my 20D. I find it small, light, sharp, excellent optically, and inexpensive compared to OEM lenses. It's size matches the ergonomics of the 20D/ 300 Rebel very nicely. I recommend it highly. It is not as wide as the 17-40 L, but it is very nice lens for family candids, and f2.8 helps it focus better in lower indoor light. It is probalby responcible for the majority of the shots I have taken with my 20D.

All of the images in this gallery

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/682370/1/29612968

were shot with a 20D and a Tamron 28-75 Di. I carried it in my tankbag to the BMW Rally in Lima Ohio. The shots are all of motorcycles, so you may or may not like the subject matter, but the image quality is acceptable to me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Thanks for the info PF. Those are some nice shots.

I'm leaning towards the 28-75.

Did you have the one with IF or not?

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Thanks for the info PF. Those are some nice shots.

I'm leaning towards the 28-75.

Did you have the one with IF or not?

Eric

I am not really sure what IF stands for in regard to this lens - Internal Focusing perhaps. It is not an IS or VR style lens like Canon and Nikon call their vibration reduction lenses. It is simply a well made constant aperature zoom lens - constant aperature - that is a real advantage.

Here is the lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

• Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    IF is internal focusing.

FM reviews list one with and one without. The one with IF received a slightly higher review 8.8 compared to 8.6.

I'm curious what the difference is on these.

Eric

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    internal focussing
    i am thinking about the same lens-thanks for the review pathfinder-it looks like a good walk around lens,and fast too.

internal focussing means that the lens front element does not extend or rotate
    during focus-which means that a circular polariser stays put and does not have to be adjusted all the time-it all occcurs internally with floating elements moving in and out to change focal length.

greg

Eric&Susan wrote:
    IF is internal focusing.

FM reviews list one with and one without. The one with IF received a slightly higher review 8.8 compared to 8.6.

I'm curious what the difference is on these.

Eric
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Thank you Greg for the explanationthumb.gif

Eric

• Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    I just went to FM here http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=43

and to B&H and to Tamron's website and I cannot find a 28-75 f2.8 XR Di that is distinct from a 28-75 f2.8 XR Di IF. My Tamron lens is IF, and the front element does not rotate and takes 67mm filters.

The lens listed on the Tamron website is designated as --- SP AF 28-75 F2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical(IF) Macro

I cannot find a second similar lens that is not IF ne_nau.gif Tamron seems to like lots of letters after the lens designation - some of it, I think, relates to marketing as they have been building aspherical lenses for at least a 7 years.

I owned a Tamron SP AF24-135mm Macro f3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) for Nikon mount in 1998 or 1999. I have the box sitting here on my desk. So aspherical and IF is not new technology to Tamron, they were selling it in the previous century.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2005

• Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:

From these two links - Without IF was reviewed in Dec 23, 2003. With IF was reviewed Jan 23, 2005. The lenses look identical or very similar at least. I wonder is they still make the lens listed as without IF? Seems like the lens was updated sometime between 2003 and 2005 perhaps? Or even just changed the marketing. ( They wouldn't do that would they?? ) I will be interested to hear from someone that owns this lens without IF. As I said, I could not find a reference to it at B&H or Tamron's site.

Unless you are shopping for a used lens I think the point is probably moot.
    ne_nau.gif

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    I've owned the 28-75. It's a good lens.

Since you already have a 70-200 with a constant f4 aperture, I would get the 28-75. You'll be dissappointed in the slowness of 5.6 at the far end of the 24-135 zoom. Also, if it's a true 1:1 macro, focusing speed will be slower and you'll find it doing a lot of focus hunting in low light.

Also, it may say macro on the 28-75, but it isn't. True macro is 1:1
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I have decided to go with the 28-75. I decided to get a used one that way I can see sample pics of how sharp it is. If I got a new one I would have to order from the net and if it wasn't sharp I would end up sending it back and it would just be to much hassle. I went to the local shop and they wanted $500 for the exact same lens B&H has for $340 including rebate.

Thanks for all the help,

Eric