Options

#86 Wood Ducks

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited October 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is seems so strange to make a black and white shot out of a very colorful duck.

What do you think?

IMG2593-1-bw-2-XL.jpg

IMG2740-1-bw-XL.jpg

IMG2705-1-bw-XL.jpg

4, nice try, but nothing here works.

Thanks for looking.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 30, 2011
    So hard to choose. I like them all! I guess I'd say #3 (because the duck stands out so well against the lovely, soft background - almost glowing - and also has that reflection ) then #2 (because of my eye goes to the duck but still has plenty to look at with the reflection, the log, the tonal range, etc.) and then #1 which has it's own merits like the male and female together, etc. Great set!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    2 for me... Get a bit more GREY and some blacks in there...they appear too bright overall, but are lovely otherwise!!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    2 and 3 but I would have to agree on a bit more contrast needed. But that is just my taste. 2 is getting my attention more
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    #1 and #3 would be my choices. There's an abundant amount of white-out (blown portions in white) in both images, I suggest perhaps reducing the brightness in the entire photo by dragging the curve levels down using 1 point or just playing with exposure sliders on the RAW file (assuming you shot this in raw), then bumping the contrast up.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Thanks for looking folks.

These are kind of high key conversions, for good reasons.
    The water has a bunch of junk floating, plus the background isn't as smooth ooc as I'd like.

Maybe I'll find something else over the weekend.
    The color version of one of the shots.

IMG2705-1-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    What you can do is perform sort of an HDR composite, where the water is brighter than the duck by laying two images on top of one another. Or, you can 'burn-in' the duck on your image above.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    2 and 3 but I would have to agree on a bit more contrast needed. But that is just my taste. 2 is getting my attention more

15524779-Ti.gif