Softball pics

JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited October 11, 2011 in Sports
I don't have a great zoom lens for sports photography. I actually just use a 70-300mm kit lens - not sure what to buy though. I want the distance but don't have much money to invest in one. I use a Nikon - any suggestions. May buy the 70-300 VR.

1244062740_4BMGD-M.jpg

1244100566_oBoJB-M.jpg

1244105763_gaLsz-M.jpg

I hate taking photos through a fence!

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Great Shots
    I us a 70-300mm VR & it does good with softball, lacrosse & football (as long as you are within 40-45 yards). You might want to go with a used lens to save some money. I also would recommend renting the lens and using it for a weekend before you buy it to make sure you will be happy with it.
    Check out my sports album on my web site & you can see some photos that I have taken with the 70-300mm VR.

Take Care,
    Chuck ,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Thank you Chuck! I will definitely do that. Great suggestion on renting before buying. I typically try to find used lenses so hopefully I'll be able to find one in good condition if I like it.
  • KidPicKidPic Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2011
    Small step stool does wonders....
    I'm also using the 70-300 VR for little league pictures. I walk around with a small step stool (2 step aluminum) and most of the time it works GREAT. When I am not standing on it I am sitting on it :)Laughing.gif

Generally I stick to the Major and Minor division games because the Center Field Fence is 200 yards out. Thats my favorite spot with the 70-300. My older 18-200 lens was just a little short for that spot.

http://sradabaugh.smugmug.com/
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Just commenting on the shots here:
    shot 1: Good action - base runner and ball are both in the frame. So, that's good. However the shot is hurt by the slow shutter speed - 1/250 is too slow. Bump up the ISO and get your shutter speed at least 1/500 - preferably 1/1000. Also too much DOF - fence is distracting. No need to shoot at f7.1. Also, 210mm seems awfully loose for this framing - was the shot cropped? If so, you want to be careful about cropping - especially with consumer grade optics. You want to fill the frame with the action and not have to crop. On that note of framing: the important aspects are the fielder, the runner and the ball. The other fielder isn't involved. So you want the shot framed such that the two important players are placed well in the frame -the runner is pushed right up on the edge with a lot of unneeded dead space behind the fielder making the play.

shot 2: has an over-processed look to it. Look at her compared to the players in shot 3 - shot 3 players look much more natural. The pitcher in this shot looks way over processed. You also have an issue of too much DOF - again, no need to use f8 here. Also, get further back so you're shooting at max focal length when shooting the pitcher - that will help with the background blur.

shot 3: crop the shot tighter. Also, looks like you shot this standing up - you want to get low to the ground - I recommend kneeling vs. sitting but you don't want to shoot DOWN on your subject like this - you want to be as low to the ground as you can get while still be able to move out of the way if needed.