Options

Help do a good deed, restore a Cecil Stoner photo

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Almost done. Cletus says he can't get the Leaning Tower shot, scan00032 done until tonight and I think it would be good to be done sooner. I asked Laurie to work on it, but haven't heard yet. So, I've moved it up into the untaken list and if someone else wants to work on it that would be great. Just post first, OK? It's a cool shot, so it would be interesting to see what we can do with it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    mereimage wrote:
    These were difficult and I wasn't going to post them since I wasn't particularly satisfied with them but you can decide what you want to do with them. Its a kind effort everyone is making, I hope it gives his family some solace.

40763317-Th.jpg

40763369-Th.jpg

.......................Mereimage

The last is better than I did, so let's use it. The B&W panning for gold looks like the best of these so far, so again, let's use it. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 20, 2005
    What a great thing everyone's doing. Very nice results too.

Thanks for doing this!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Here is a link to my try at scan0006. This is a tough one and I can't get the white balance right.
    http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/40732045-O.jpg
    Here is the medium shot.

40732045-M.jpg

Bear

This is a lot better than I did, except the color balance on the faces, baby blanket, and shirt. I was really puzzled by this as well when I worked on it. So I took a whack at it, starting with Bear's excellent edit. Those flesh tones are just wrong. There's blue in the baby's face and Cecil's face is very magenta and almost no yellow. Unlike most color correction work I do, global corrections don't work very well, so I ended up making selections and correcting locally. There is probably a better way, but I don't know it yet.

So I fixed the faces, but the baby blanket really has to be neutral, doesn't it? We know those are as white as they can be. So I fixed it, too:

40781740-M.jpg

That left the shirt. It's violet. I decided it had to be an impossible color. Maybe it was really blue and the blue washed out and faded:

40782481-M.jpg

Then it dawned on me. The whole thing had a blue cast. Blue in the faces, blue on the baby blanket, probably blue in the shirt too. Maybe the shirt was neutral:

40789294-M.jpg

That light grey looks like a plausible color for a man's polo shirt worn with khakis.

Here's a link to the original sized version of this last:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/photos/40789294-O.jpg

So, what does everybody think? I'm especially interested in Bear's opinion.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    Got a nice Leaning Tower from Spockling and so now we are done!

I collected what I thought were the best versions into a new gallery, a present from the dgrin community to the Stoner family. You might want to take a look.

I don' think Lindsay and the Stoner family are going to be able to handle a very many new versions just now. If you can do MUCH BETTER than one of the ones we have, go for it. Probably it doesn't matter in the short term.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Nice work guys and gals... Really nice work! :D

I wish I could have been part of this but I wouldn't be able to try anything until later tonight.

Well done everyone... Great initiative rutt... thumb.gif

Lee

rutt wrote:
    Got a nice Leaning Tower from Spockling and so now we are done!

I collected what I thought were the best versions into a new gallery, a present from the dgrin community to the Stoner family. You might want to take a look.

I don' think Lindsay and the Stoner family are going to be able to handle a very many new versions just now. If you can do MUCH BETTER than one of the ones we have, go for it. Probably it doesn't matter in the short term.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    rutt wrote:

40789294-M.jpg

That light grey looks like a plausible color for a man's polo shirt worn with khakis.

Here's a link to the original sized version of this last:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/photos/40789294-O.jpg

So, what does everybody think? I'm especially interested in Bear's opinion.
    I think it looks great. I never thought to do the color corections in sections. Good job.

Bear
  • Options
    smittymike19smittymike19 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    wow
    i just signed up for my smug mug account and happened to stumble across this forum. let me tell you it is really awesome to see everyone jump in here and give a hand. this whole project was done very quickly which is impressive given the relatively small size of this forum. its great to see that there is hope for our fast paced cut throat world yet. clap.gif

i read somewhere a quote about photography "there are 2 parts to every photograpgh...what is being shown and what is being seen" (loose paraphrase probably) i think what we are worrying about trying to show is a set of pictures that are technically correct, but what is going to be seen is nothing but beautiful memories. I am guilty of critiqueing my pics technically to the point of not being able to enjoy the emotional part of the capture. its funny but i noticed when i show my pictures a technically perfect picture of an average (emotionally) picture ALWAYS loses to a technically imperfect shot of an great emotional picture.

these pictures are all very special to the family, so I really dont think it will mean much that technically they have not been refinished perfectly (as some of you are worried that your refinishes arent up to par) . But im sure the kind effort in this sad time will give some sense of comfort. :):

god bless