Perfect Resize for Enlarging Shots

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited October 6, 2011 in Sports
Any Perfect Resize users out there? What do you use for your workflow to enlarge and crop to posters?

I just bought Perfect Resize Professional Edition 7.0.2.

I make a lot of 20x30 posters for basketball and football. I shoot full frame and my shots are already at a 2x3 ratio. My basketball photos are normally shot portrait and my football are normally shot landscape.

For football I have horizontal orientation shots that I want to resize and enlarge and then crop and print out 20 width and 30 height. I can't seem to see how I can crop to 20x30 that goes against the landscape 2x3 ratio in Perfect Resize. Lightroom let's you select your aspect ratio and shift the ratio to be vertical rather than horizontal. I guess I can't do that in Perfect Resize.

I don't want to crop before my Perfect Resize flow or I will lose PPI... So, what should be my process?

1- Go into Lightroom and make exposure adjustments etc.
2- Export to Tiff
3- Enlarge in Perfect Resize
4- Go back into Lightroom and crop so I can get my 20x30

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    None of you sports shooters use Perfect Resize?
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Mark - why do you lose PPI if you crop first (I'm not a PS expert, so I don't understand the limitations of exporting out of LR into PS)? Are you creating the posters in PS? I'm not sure I understand the issue you're running into cropping in PS - is it that the crop tool being free-form is the problem?

I use perfect resize, but most if not all of my cropping is done in PS. I do an "edit in CS5" to get my photo out of LR and into PS, then I generally crop what I need into a new layer into its own document, execute perfect resize to get the larger size, then copy that to the poster document I'm working with in PS. I never go back to LR. Here is one from yesterday - this is 24"x18":

24x18-sparky-gymnastics-S.jpg
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Mark - why do you lose PPI if you crop first (I'm not a PS expert, so I don't understand the limitations of exporting out of LR into PS)? Are you creating the posters in PS? I'm not sure I understand the issue you're running into cropping in PS - is it that the crop tool being free-form is the problem?

I use perfect resize, but most if not all of my cropping is done in PS. I do an "edit in CS5" to get my photo out of LR and into PS, then I generally crop what I need into a new layer into its own document, execute perfect resize to get the larger size, then copy that to the poster document I'm working with in PS. I never go back to LR. Here is one from yesterday - this is 24"x18":

I set the crop to the dimensions I need if I am printing really big using PSE. Usually there isn't a problem if using smugmug. I have had to some tweaking when using walmart for a poster as I had to go by pixel size instead of dimension size when printing large, but the poster looked great.
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011

24x18-sparky-gymnastics-S.jpg

Adam... EXCELLENT poster!