Options

DSS #86 Angels Flight

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
All C&C is appreciated.

This is the Angels Flight trolley car in downtown LA. I got to the location a bit late, and the morning sun begun to light up the terminal building in the background. If possible, I may return tomorrow to see if I can even out the lighting. These are HDR images with a couple different perspectives. Thanks for your feedback.

Jim

i-MGSfbLW-L.jpg

i-DP5QK6C-L.jpg

i-QjGnbwn-L.jpg

i-f5hj9KZ-L.jpg

All images can be found here:
http://fjcvisual.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Challenges/17690202_mV5CHS

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Number3 is terrific.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Many other places this might be called a funicular! I love it! thumb.gif. Though not as steep as some I've been on...

NIce processing. I like 3 & 4.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    #4 thumb.gif
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    bf2015 wrote: »
    #4 thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

hi Brian, hi Bill,
    when I first looked at this series, I wondered about #4. I'm in the camp that I like the unique view that sometimes tonemapping brings when applied to wood. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.
    For me it just misses the mark. Because of the extreme dof, I feel there's so much in focus that detracts from the main subject. The bush out the left window and what looks like a parking structure out the right windows. Both pull me out of the image a bit.
    Image #3 is exactly opposite. Very crisp, hi contrast, and it almost seems like it was taken in the era that AF was in full service, and aside from the sign creeping into the frame at the top, I think the comp is wonderful. I love that I have to think about where the railcar ends and the track begins. (very nice Jim!)
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    @Froch - yea I agree that there are some distractions. Once the light began to come up over the buildings everything really lit up. I really needed to be there earlier. As it was I was there at about 6:45am.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Jim
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    #4 is terrific! The texture of the wood really draws me in.

For the purposes of the challenge you want to consider cloning out that white spot on the left.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Another vote for 4
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    #4 is terrific! The texture of the wood really draws me in.

For the purposes of the challenge you want to consider cloning out that white spot on the left.

I agree, Done.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I really like these! Very cool.
    I am partial to the first one,though compared to your others feels like it needs tweaking with the processing.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I love love love #4. I've been wanting to go check out the Angel's Flight trolley for a while... one of these days I'll get there. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    hi Brian, hi Bill,
    when I first looked at this series, I wondered about #4. I'm in the camp that I like the unique view that sometimes tonemapping brings when applied to wood. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.
    For me it just misses the mark. Because of the extreme dof, I feel there's so much in focus that detracts from the main subject. The bush out the left window and what looks like a parking structure out the right windows. Both pull me out of the image a bit.
    Image #3 is exactly opposite. Very crisp, hi contrast, and it almost seems like it was taken in the era that AF was in full service, and aside from the sign creeping into the frame at the top, I think the comp is wonderful. I love that I have to think about where the railcar ends and the track begins. (very nice Jim!)

Hi Paul,

For me the issue may be a combination of several preferences. I think the portrait orientation of #3 and the center line focus of the interior steps and then the rails all lead my eye to the top center of the frame... and there's not a payoff there. As for #4, I prefer the landscape orientation and I really like the richness of the wood and the metal polls that you've achieved with the tone-mapping. I'm not bothered by the view out the windows, as the windows don't imply central focus. The view is more context setting to me.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    #3 and #4 are both great shots. I have a slight preference for the latter. Saw it in the entry gallery and had fun studying it and figuring out what it was (before seeing this thread).
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I decided to submit #4 after I cropped out the near window on the left. I think it finished off the image nicely.

Thanks again, Jim