Options

How to quickly notify customers of website updats???

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited October 19, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Now that word is spreading fast about my website lots of people want to know when it's updated. Specifically those interted in my sports photography.
A few people was no problem to jot off an e-mail to but the list has since become overwhelming. I'm considering starting a yahoo group that people could sign up to recieve notification (one e-mail from me to everyone signed up) and keep it at the moderators level. People only wanting notification could sign up to recieve my main only... but those wanting to discuss the games, pictures, etc to sign up to recieve all the e-mail. I think I could easily add the join group box to smugmugs footer allthough I'm not certain about that either. Another good thing about a yahoo group is it would make it alot easier to work the voting competions the kids are participating in as the top 25 Sports pics have the best chance of going in the schools yearbook. This gives the kids input while the school & I can still override their votes :)

Is a yahoo group a good idea? Pros/cons? Is there a better way to quickly and easily notify all those wanting to know? And possibly allow disscusions about the pics & games?

Thanks & I look forward to hearing about lots of idea's on how to best incooperate this with smugmugs site?
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Cindy wrote:

Thanks & I look forward to hearing about lots of ideas

how about getting them to subscribe to an rss feed? yeah, you'll have to email them on how to do it, but that way, boom, it's automatic. and easier, i think, than getting them to join a yahoo groups thingie.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    how about getting them to subscribe to an rss feed? yeah, you'll have to email them on how to do it, but that way, boom, it's automatic. and easier, i think, than getting them to join a yahoo groups thingie.
    When the RSS thing first showed up on my site I went to the help file to see what the heck it even was as I'd never heard of it before. I don't use firefox (as the help file recommends) so clicked the link and quickly became confused & lost in all the high tech info so forgot about it and removed it from my site.

I use IE (I know I know don't go there - I don't have time :)
    can I still use this RSS thing?

And is it simple & safe for people to use?
    Being so new (new is scary for some people exspecailly the mid to older generations) will this prevent them from using it?

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Cindy wrote:
    When the RSS thing first showed up on my site I went to the help file to see what the heck it even was as I'd never heard of it before. I don't use firefox (as the help file recommends) so clicked the link and quickly became confused & lost in all the high tech info so forgot about it and removed it from my site.

I use IE (I know I know don't go there - I don't have time :)
    can I still use this RSS thing?

And is it simple & safe for people to use?
    Being so new (new is scary for some people exspecailly the mid to older generations) will this prevent them from using it?

Thanks,
    Cindy

it's simple & safe. i suppose you could do both methods.