Beautiful Day In The Aspens

senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited October 2, 2011 in Landscapes
My wife is a very enthusiastic watercolor painter, and it annoys her to no end when I use Photoshop to simulate painterly effects in my photos. She hates the idea that she can spend an afternoon laboriously putting an artistic vision on paper, and in a microsecond PS can provide a paint by numbers rendering that some folks like just as much.

So, I guess I shouldn't show her these. Yesterday was just an extraordinary day in the hills and these photos looked like paintings to me anyway so I went ahead and mucked with some filters in PS to see what I could create. No apologies for any lack of realism, I approached it like I was trying to paint a photo, not record the scene.

finalaspen10111-L.jpg

Maybe if I put her in one she'll feel better.

LisasAspens-L.jpg
Jay

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Love your second Image
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Love your second Image

+1 thumb.gif
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Nice PS work. As a former painter, I can appreciate her pain. It is amazing what the computer can do. You can even get canvas effects. Many painters paint from photos they pull up on laptop screens. But 'en plein air' painting is more popular than ever & collectors will always want the real thing. But you could fool many of them by printing a PS enhanced photo on some mat canvas paper.
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    f-rider wrote: »
    Nice PS work. As a former painter, I can appreciate her pain. It is amazing what the computer can do. You can even get canvas effects. Many painters paint from photos they pull up on laptop screens. But 'en plein air' painting is more popular than ever & collectors will always want the real thing. But you could fool many of them by printing a PS enhanced photo on some mat canvas paper.

Here are a couple of mine, which I always label as "photo illustrations." One of the cool things you can do, of course, with Photoshop is edit out things you don't want. I could have edited out my motorcycle in the second one but, of course, I like it like it is. There are some dedicated plug in programs that work really well with PS. These are way better than I was ever able to achieve as a painter... with a LOT more work and fussing. ne_nau.gif

1207807426_9SVxM-L.jpg1207808212_TozSJ-L.jpg
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    +1 thumb.gif

+2thumb.gifthumb
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Also love #2. Beautiful!
  • byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Love #2 also, great image!
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, glad you found something to like in them. f-rider, nice work. Sometimes I take photos of my wife's paintings and apply effects to that photo. Kind of like double secret watercolor. I'm sure she would have nightmares if she knew.

Here's the photo I used as the basis for the second image workup. Not too shabby as is. What a wonderful afternoon and evening, the light was spectacular.

LisaAspenFinal-L.jpg
    Jay