Options

Everyone loves a parade (8 images)

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Well not everyone. :wink

It was Grand Finals weekend in Australia, our equivalent to the Superbowl, done twice. Sunday was the Rugby League Grand Final in Sydney. But the main event was for the AFL Premiership between Collingwood and Geelong in Melbourne on Saturday. These shots are from the parade on Friday.

1)
DS20333-XL.jpg

2)
DS20362-XL.jpg

3)
DS20381-XL.jpg

4)
DS20403-XL.jpg

5)
DS20406-XL.jpg

6)
DS20411-XL.jpg

7)
DS20448-XL.jpg

8)
DS20466-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Good shooting, Jennifer. #4's a classic.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    Nice work. 4 and 5 are especially good. Good to see that you're out shooting again. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Kind of taken aback by your color processing. I would never have thought they were yours.

I'm partial to parade shots myself.

#5clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I don't like parades, crowds, rallies etc. (how did I get involved in Street :D) but.............

after seeing yours I might have to look one up mwink.gif

Last one would be mine choice.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    michswiss wrote: »

4 - 5- 6 -7 Jen!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    #6 is brilliant. My favorite of the bunch. Love the contrast between the stodgy, serious business man in a hurry and the ebullient, relaxed boys hanging out ready to cheer (for something). For my taste, really a nice capture.

I sure wish I knew what the fellow in #3 was thinking...
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Very enjoyable series... By chance, I actually watched about thirty minutes of the game on our local cable television. It was definitely entertaining, looking to the uninitiated like a cross between rugby and soccer. My interest was piqued from my son currently spending a semester at ANU and telling me about his attempt at playing the game with his residence hall team. (BTW, for those who argue that football is soccer, this is Australian football, which is neither soccer nor football...ne_nau.gif)

I like #1. First impression was that these are two future hoodlums with their turned caps. Also, the kid on the right initially looked like he had a cigarette or toothpick (or both) in his mouth. And what's with the Ford sweatshirt? Meanwhile, the girl is in pink, enjoying her snack, and totally oblivious to the big sports event.

#5 works well as part of the series. These were once the kids in #1 but now they have to act appropriately to reflect their proper station.

Agree with Liz on your color processing. Looks like you push the saturation and the blacks/darks. I like the look.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Rainbow, I was at the match, 100,000 in attendance at the the MCG. If you saw the end of the first quarter, you would have seen me during one of the throw in's just in front of one of the lunatic Collingwood supporters.

Stueve, That's probably my favourite of the bunch as well. There's something just so innocent and enthusiastic in his gaze against the rush of the businessman. Just a shame his team wasn't even playing.

Ben, I think the ginger kid in the silver suit in the corner does it for me in this one.

Richard, I'm still not quite right but improving and able to get out a little more often.

Liz, The colour processing is something I've been working on. Not sure I've got the magic mix right yet, but I think it's improving. In a nutshell, the saturation is actually dropped a fair bit but vibrancy slightly pushed. Not "Liz Color" though mwink.gif

B.D., Russ, thanks...
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I could see #8 as a poster somewhere.... thumb.gif