Options

Excellent Read

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in Street and Documentary
It's more about how and why HCB did what hid did, then about the man.

I found it very informative and enlighting

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2011/09/henri-cartier-bresson/

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    Thanks for the link, Ben. It's always a pleasure to look at HCB's work and interesting to consider what makes it tick. I wonder, though, about the relationship between analysis and practice. I'm willing to bet that he never said to himself, "I need to wait until the subject is on the reciprocal of the sinister diagonal." lol3.gif While you can certainly train your eye to detect lines and forms, for me shooting is more intuitive than analytical. Unlike painting, where you construct a composition, photography seems more like a matter of recognition. To paraphrase Potter Stewart, I don't know what good composition is, but I know it when I see it.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    To paraphrase Potter Stewart, I don't know what good composition is, but I know it when I see it.

Exactly the point I think of the article.
    You have to understand and look for the Geometry in your work for your work to work. :D

To me it's like riding the Harly, there is lots of Geometry at work, I don't think about it but if I don't understand and apply it to my ride, I Go DOWN!