Options

dSLR question...

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited October 20, 2005 in Cameras
OK, I know that SLR stands for Single Lens Refraction, right? But that doesn't necessarily imply I know what it means.

On to my questions....

Is it possible for a dSLR to have a flip and swivel LCD? I'm thinking not.....which is too bad, because it's the best feature I have and the one I'd like to keep from my Canon Powershot A95.

:dunno

Thanks,
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    The R in SLR stands for reflex - which means mirror or reflection. ie: there's a mirror that reflects the light up and then through the viewfinder (so you're seeing exactly what's coming through the lens).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slr

There's no technical reason you couldn't have a flip out LCD on an SLR, but it wouldn't serve any great purpose because no SLR supports live preview right now (as far as I know).
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Great, thanks for the info Brett!
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Live preview becomes less and less important (in fact stupid)m when you have a nice (relatively) viewfinder. It seems most people like live preview because the images in the electronic viewfinders of Point and shoots are so godawful. When you get used to a real, very nice optical viewfinder, you will find yourself saying "who needs live preview or a swivelscreen? I can actually see EXACTLY what the picture will look like, not some electronic form of it."
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8