Options

LR for 149

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited October 7, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Just got an email from B&H saying the Lightroom is $149 with free shipping for the next 24 hours.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Dan,
    Do you need a special code or something..I am on there now and it is up to $299 headscratch.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Here is the link that was in the email...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/AD125794/Ntt/AD125794/N/0
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    Dan,
    Do you need a special code or something..I am on there now and it is up to $299 headscratch.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    Dan,
    Yep, got it! thumb.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I am currently using Photoshop CS2...although I have NEVER come close to knowing what I am doing with this program (have typically use threshold, curves, unsharpmask, etc...have never understood or used layers). Being that LR is a newer software...would it be prudent to jump to LR at this time and at this rate? Will it be simpler to use than CS2?
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I am currently using Photoshop CS2...although I have NEVER come close to knowing what I am doing with this program (have typically use threshold, curves, unsharpmask, etc...have never understood or used layers). Being that LR is a newer software...would it be prudent to jump to LR at this time and at this rate? Will it be simpler to use than CS2?

Do you use the Camera Raw feature of CS2 to process your RAWs? If so, then absolutely jump to LR. I was using CS2 before I recently switched to CS4. Camera Raw in CS4 is so much better. And LR is even better than CS4 Camera Raw.

LR is mainly for batch processing... ie, say you're a sports shooter, you have 1000 images from an event, you want to get all your photos processed with similar settings, and you want to get it done reasonably quickly. If you're the landscape shooter type, who spends 10 minutes on each photo perfect, then LR is probably not for you.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    LR is mainly for batch processing... ie, say you're a sports shooter, you have 1000 images from an event, you want to get all your photos processed with similar settings, and you want to get it done reasonably quickly. If you're the landscape shooter type, who spends 10 minutes on each photo perfect, then LR is probably not for you.
    This is one of the things I was trying to figure out before buying. But this software is so cheap compared to what I am used to (cad cam) ...and then goes on sale..so I went ahead.
    But I noticed that a lot of guys & gals on here have both. (CS4-5).
    Mainly I didn't what to learn anymore different titles than I have to. For all of my work/email photos I have used PS6 for many years.
    Well time will tell. Lots of instruction/info on LR so that will be good!
    Gary
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I don't have LR, but I'd like to get it. The ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) part of CS4 works fine for me. However, I would like to get LR, as it's got a lot more functionality and options. The LR3 noise reduction is state-of-the-art; I've seen examples and it's truly amazing. That's the main reason I want LR3. The noise reduction can really enable the older cameras that are noisy at high ISO.
  • Options
    idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    LR3 is fun to use and you can get presets from the internet to load and then apply them and then "tweak" them.I also use it for file management, BIG plus. Also does most other adjustments. I use LR3 and then import to CS5. CS4 was okay to use but CS5 is so far ahead it's amazing. However on a budget LR3 will be a big jump for you and an easy UI. There are stand alone programs that do noise reduction, simple quick and easy.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.