Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #87 (Three)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited October 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #87

Welcome to Round #87 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, October 3, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, October 17, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Three

Three is a very powerful little known visual "rule" in photography. Not to be confused with the more well known "rule of thirds".
Pretty simple. Show us "Three" of something.

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Hello, I have been searching the Net for ANY reference to this 'THREE' rule to help clarify this challenge, but everything seems to point back to the "rule of thirds". I did find this interesting 'rule of three' explanation from an interior designers perspective (BELOW).

Is having three major focal points composed the basic idea of rule three? Keith

"The Rule of Three is a principle used in various aspects of design: architecture, graphic design, photography (though, in graphic design and photography, referred to as the Rule of Thirds). With interior design, the Rule of Three can be considered in progression and spatial composition; the Work Triangle in kitchen design; color and fabric schemes; arrangements with furniture or groupings of accessories and vignettes; balance within symmetry using a focal point - just as a few examples.

Today’s explanation will focus on the use of threes and odd numbers. The basic idea of the rule is that details and objects that are arranged or grouped in odd numbers are more appealing, memorable, and effective than even-numbered pairings. While it is easier to create symmetry by balancing elements in twos, odd numbers create harmony and force movement and visual interest. In Feng Shui, odd numbers give Yang energy and even numbers, Yin. Yang expands and moves. Yin contracts and condenses. Within a grouping there should also be a hierarchy (i.e. varying heights, textures or shapes) and think about grouping like things or items that have the same elements or materials. "

Quote is from: http://www.everythingin3s.com/2011/01/21/rule-of-three-and-odd-numbers/
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    As I mentioned it is a much less known design and visual power tool. The concept of three crosses into almost all visually related fields from art to architecture. The number three is also found in writing, mathematics and the medical community. If you are still craving more information try this link.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Remember School house Rock?
    School House Rock - Three Is A Magic Number

http://youtu.be/G5h11p-w4kY
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I had 3 kids.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    PupWeb wrote: »

exactly what came to my mind ...clap.gif
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011

Laughing.gif...I almost headed that way, too.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Me too! 3 boys! I also always take 3 shots of every pose. It's weird I feel itchy if I don't.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited October 5, 2011
    Leaving for India in less than two weeks and sadly realizing that I may need pass on the "Three" challenge to help me catch up, get ready for my trip, etc. But I want to express deep appreciation to Sean for these challenges. These last two (Orton inspiration and monotones) have been especially helpful to me, encouraging me to try some techniques (shooting and processing) that resonate with me and that I might never have tried otherwise. The dgrin challenges also nudge me to make time for photo shoots!

Gretchen
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I also have 3 kids...might be a race to see who gets them all together first :)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Leaving for India in less than two weeks and sadly realizing that I may need pass on the "Three" challenge to help me catch up, get ready for my trip, etc. But I want to express deep appreciation to Sean for these challenges.

It is awesome to hear how much the challenges drive you. Sorry to hear you will miss Three.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    Some of us just naturally gravitate to three: 3

Hover over "MY Hub" my in sig line...or click if desired~
    tom wise
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I won't be submitting a picture of my 3.... out of the race. One lives in another state and won't be home. I'll have to come up with 3 of something else.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Took the best photo I've taken all year last night, and there's nothing at all "Three" about it.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Took the best photo I've taken all year last night, and there's nothing at all "Three" about it.
    Should we change the theme to "best of the year" ???? mwink.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Yes. Go ahead. Is it too late? We had the kind of skies last night that only come around once in a golden moon. Actually, as I continue to process the photos, one of them has some hope afterall.

I might've caught a tertiary rainbow!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Greg, you have to show us that picture, whether or not you enter it!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Is it too late?

Uhhhh, Yes. It is most certainly too late. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Some of us just naturally gravitate to three: 3

Hover over "MY Hub" my in sig line...or click if desired~

Fun stuff Tom!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Fun stuff Tom!

Hey thanks...and thanks for replying. Imagine my horror when I clicked my link and found my logo and title MIA!eek7.gif Recent upgrade not followed thru with~ne_nau.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Hey thanks...and thanks for replying. Imagine my horror when I clicked my link and found my logo and title MIA!eek7.gif Recent upgrade not followed thru with~ne_nau.gif

You know what, I never landed on your site. will enjoy that tonight. I landed on the promo vid with you stepping into the frame.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    You know what, I never landed on your site. will enjoy that tonight. I landed on the promo vid with you stepping into the frame.

Ahh thanks.:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    Great Idea
    sherstone wrote: »
    Should we change the theme to "best of the year" ???? mwink.gif

That would be a great idea for a challenge like in December or something.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    That would be a great idea for a challenge like in December or something.
    It would be great for a mini challenge. Unfortunately it assumes that the photo could have been taken at any time during the year. With our two week shooting window for challenges that is a lot of pressure mwink.gif