Loving the M9

jasongphotojasongphoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 9, 2011 in Cameras
I'm borrowing an M9 from a friend... absolutely loving it. Wanted to see who (out there) is using Leica Gear!!

Thanks,

Jason Grubb

Denver Wedding Photographers | Jason+Gina Wedding Photographers | Visit our Wedding Blog.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 4, 2011
    "Borrowing" a Leica M9? ($7000USD FF digital rangefinder.) That must be a very good friend. thumb.gif

I don't think you'll find "too" many others using that particular body, but we have had some discussion and a few images:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=142301
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169007
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169095
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    :giggle

That's like, "Anybody out there driving a Ferrrari/Lotus/Porsche?" as we all look at our Toyota Corollas and Honda Accords, reminding ourselves that any modern camera can take good pictures just like any modern car will still get us from point A to point B..... lol3.gif
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I have one. I adore it; the limitations, the need to do things yourself, the size and especially the lack of effect it has on most people when you're taking pictures with it. It's like Greek austerity measures but that have a really positive effect. I really ought to put up more photos, but I've sort of slowed down this year with my public consumption work. This thread might give me the kick up the arse to get into Lightroom and contribute again!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 4, 2011
    Pindy wrote: »
    ... This thread might give me the kick up the arse to get into Lightroom and contribute again!

Please do. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    This discussion goes back a long way. When I was using my first SLR (a Mamiya Sekor) more than 40 years ago, I had similar conversations with friends who were Leica enthusiasts. My side liked the ability to see the frame correctly with a wide variety of lenses (which I couldn't actually afford to buy), and the other side loved the small size and inconspicuousness of Leicas. Of course, budget Mamiya Sekor optics were not in the Leica league, but that was a different matter.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    paddler4 wrote: »
    This discussion goes back a long way. When I was using my first SLR (a Mamiya Sekor) more than 40 years ago, I had similar conversations with friends who were Leica enthusiasts. My side liked the ability to see the frame correctly with a wide variety of lenses (which I couldn't actually afford to buy), and the other side loved the small size and inconspicuousness of Leicas. Of course, budget Mamiya Sekor optics were not in the Leica league, but that was a different matter.

Quite. One is in no way a substitute for the other. Merely philosophies borne of each other's limitations.
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2011
    Hey,

I bought an M9 when they came out a few years back.

It is funny. It has lots of limitations an slr doesn't have. Manual focus, most of the time, just can't keep up with a good slr auto. The metering is fair at best. The rear LCD could have been on a camera in 2003.

For about 18 months I had the M9 and a 5d2 with lenses for both in the closet. Thought I'd shoot both for a while and see how I felt.

Finally sold all the Canon stuff after realizing that it was collecting dust and I never used it anymore.

Obviously not for everyone (sports, telephoto, macro, video, tilt/shift. etc.) but the bottom line for me (who does photography for fun) which camera do I want to take out today? Answer was always the Leica.

Things change - maybe I'll get tired of it and sell it some years down the road, but for me right now it makes photography fun.