Options

First paid photo shoot.

LiveLikeLizPhotosLiveLikeLizPhotos Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited October 5, 2011 in People
Constructive comments and criticism? Yes, please!
Here's a senior session I recently did.
I know the customer's personally and they are aware I'm just a beginner.
What do you think?
What could I do better next time?

Senior-3510-M.jpg

Senior-3111-M.jpg

Senior-3159-M.jpg

Her mother is a big fan of black and white, so I threw in some of those specially for her. I'm a fan of color. Haha.

bandw-3710-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Nice set but Holy Watermarks Batman! If you're presenting your images this way to your client, it's going to be a turn-off. You need to dial it back a little.

B/W shot is my favorite.
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Actually, really good for a first timer
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    Haha, I apologize for the watermarks! I use those for my horse show shots, because they tend to like to steal photos. I'll work on a smaller one for things such as this, thank you for the advice!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Don't like 1.
    2 is my favorite.
    3 is ok.
    4 is ok.
    As mentioned watermark is covering everything so just my impression from what I can see.

For your first time I think you did fine.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Moses....
    I've been told that I should step up my image protection but this is the extreme left of what I'm doingne_nau.gif

All kidding aside the large watermark in the center does impede the view on the 3rd image considerably...(for critique purposes)

My initial thoughts are as follows:

Not keen on subject dead center frame on most of these...the crops don't allow much breathing space and I feel as if the subject is cramped.
    On that note you have some unusual crop ratios which are not print and frame friendly assuming that your client wants prints this can be an issue so it's always better to stay with traditional ratios.

Personal taste on the first one, I would have preferred blowing the background with a shallow aperture as I find the background to be distracting and in a sense making the composition a little harder to digest.

The B&W is my fav of the bunch and I must say overall you did a good job with the exposures....keep shooting :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    zoomer, could you please tell me why you don't like it? I'm looking for constructive criticism, so telling me why you have distaste for that photo would help a lot. Just saying you don't like it is insulting, and I don't know what to fix in the future.
    Thank you for your reply, though.
    I know, I know. My watermark is over the top. I'm currently making a new one.
    Keeping it simple is difficult for me. Haha.
  • Options
    FuhrtographerFuhrtographer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I think a bigger app. on the first one and its a good shot. BG is too distracting because its all in focus.

The rest are good just maybe a little crop issue with subject being a little to centered.
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    pic #1 -, Usually having the subject look as if they are exiting the frame is not as visually appealing as if the were entering the frame. I would have done this landscape to get the flowing dress and have her center right entering the frame.
    Separate subject from background- as mentioned open up the lens (lower the f) and look at what's behind the subject and go for contrast. She has blond hair, in pic 1 the bckgrnd is light so it's like her hair and you loose dimension. Pic 2 she pops out b/c the bckgrnd is dark compared to her blond hair.

As others have said leave crop room, it looks as these were custom cropped so I believe you have room in the originals. Remember your clients may want 4x7, 8x10 etc. and also Grandma isn't going to like her baby's head cut short by her 5x7 frame on her mantle.

Posing - Awesome love it!

Good job!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    You asked for a more detailed critique:
    1 looks like a quick snap shot of a person walking by, not a portrait.
    Background doesn't work, to bright and distracting, should have used a thin depth of field. Select the background first.
    She is almost out of the frame. Photo should be thought out before clicking the shutter, where do I want to place the subject against the background I have selected, does the light hit her in a flattering manner.
    If you are going to crop body parts...pick a place to do it...don't just let the crop fall randomly. In 1 choose mid thigh.
    If you are going to tilt a photo have a reason, poor photos cannot be saved by tilting them.

2 is your best shot.
    It is a little flat and has a bit of a blue tint.
    Looks tilted but maybe the wall is not straight.
    She looks engaged and having fun.
    Background is good and she is well placed in good light.

3 looks a bit flat and slighter blue tint.
    The background in this doesn't work due to the large distracting bright spot right behind her.
    The entire set up is to centered and square to the camera..needs some angles. She looks cute in this and the light is falling on her in a flattering manner.

4 she is turned at a bit to much of an angle from the camera.
    Again the background is distracting with the bright sections behind her head...they are well blurred which makes them not as distracting.
    Subject is centered, could use a crop from the right, and bit more space on the bottom. Probably would have worked better as a vertical.
    Looks like a blur or softening filter was used, which seems to work ok in this shot.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    Thank you, I've taken notes! Haha. I'll defiantly work on the whole cropping situation, and everything else.
    I appreciate the comments.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    A watermark smack in the middle of a face for a forum post? eek7.gif

The watermarks indicate amateur all around. If you're hoping to get future paid work, you'll want a much, much more professional way to deliver and post photos. Try something subtle in the corner.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    What Zoomer said, and I think your number one is too soft...hard to see the eyes...and the mouth...lips look soft...not well enought defined.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    How is this?

Senior-3554-M.jpg
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    A simple watermark well designed would be best but this is far batter than what you had on the previous images.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Congrats on popping the gettingpaid-cherry. :) I like the colors. I'd control the DOF more to blur the bg's a bit so as to not conflict with the foreground (esp on #1). Overall its not a bad set. My only other suggestion is to shoot more to build your portfolio. Keep it up!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    I have a friend who is working on one for me, since I obviously am watermark-challenged. Haha.
    Thank you for the feed back, everyone.
  • Options
    cybercoxcybercox Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    Can I ask what lens(s) you used for this shoot?