Options

Kid and dog

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited October 5, 2011 in Street and Documentary
DSC07923.jpg

Lady wit ear of Corn
DSC07907.jpg

Ear of corn waiting to be cooked in a corn cooking machine.Never saw one before,I guess I do not get out much.
SF17cc.jpg

Diamond Chevy
SF12.jpg
The artist and his art?
SF13.jpg

Comments

• Options
    evanlavineevanlavine Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Hi DC - Have to be honest that none of these are doing it for me. I guess I like the old car photo but the sign behind really ruins the image at least for me. The last one would probably be my favorite but with the whites blown out it just looks sort of odd.

The woman eating the corn is actually pretty interesting and I didn't notice that at first, I just noticed the head behind it. Maybe this one would have worked better with more selective depth of field? The girl and her dog doesn't resonate any emotion in me either.

Regardless of my thoughts, thanks for sharing with us!

evan
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    evanlavine wrote: »
    Hi DC - Have to be honest that none of these are doing it for me. I guess I like the old car photo but the sign behind really ruins the image at least for me. The last one would probably be my favorite but with the whites blown out it just looks sort of odd.

The woman eating the corn is actually pretty interesting and I didn't notice that at first, I just noticed the head behind it. Maybe this one would have worked better with more selective depth of field? The girl and her dog doesn't resonate any emotion in me either.

Regardless of my thoughts, thanks for sharing with us!

evan
    Thank you for even looking at our little street festival.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    Now that you mention a little street festival, I have a bit more context to the series. Otherwise, I just didn't get the feel for any one shot in particular. So as a series, I think I understand what you were trying to accomplish.

From a content perspective, the only one I personally find interesting is the roasted corn machine. Nicely framed and colors showing one aspect of the festival. I think this one drew me in as there are no distractions like the other shots have, ie: people cut-off, non 'festive' looks and such. If a cotton-candy machine, ice-cream machine and pop-corn machine were included, that could have been a interesting addition to the series.

I think the Diamond Chevy had some potential. First, the juxtaposition between the old-time car and a limo service. One doesn't normally associate those two items together to that's kind of neat. The Betty Boop was a nice catch in there too, but 'ya 'gotta look hard. Yet the rope and the new model car next to it sort of killed any nostalgic opportunity in my opinion.

Now I'm hungry for roasted corn. (little hint - lots-o-butter, S&P, grated Parisian cheese on top with a splash of fresh squeezed lime juice)

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Now I'm hungry for roasted corn. (little hint - lots-o-butter, S&P, grated Parisian cheese on top with a splash of fresh squeezed lime juice)

Hungry too. Sounds Yummmmm

Also a good critique of above.
    I would only add if you want to shoot a festival, then you should get more of that (Festival) in a frame or two.

"Close Enough" not just "Close"
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    Hungry too. Sounds Yummmmm

Also a good critique of above.
    I would only add if you want to shoot a festival, then you should get more of that (Festival) in a frame or two.

"Close Enough" not just "Close"

GOOD POINT.
    I just sent my old M4 off,albeit not digital, to be gone over.Seeing that I only have three lenses
    ( 21mm,35mm,50mm)for that camera it will get me back in the practice of moving my feet to frame rather than pushing a button.
    Thanks one and all.
    I did send off for a Panasonic TS3 for my sailing trips so I will still be digital at least offshore and at least until I get the M4 back I wIll use the old DSC-717.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I like the last best -- the artwork is strange and so is his presence at the table with all the boxes and the plastic smile. But processing maybe can be improved with darkening or changing the black point as it is flat and white ...