Options

Can I limit how long a gallery is available?

gracejoygracejoy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 18, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am trying to figure out if I can place a time frame on my galleries? I want to give my clients a certain amount of time to view and order their images . . . is there a way to set that without going in and deleting each gallery when their time is up? I just don't have time for that.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Hi GraceJoy,

There's not a way to add a time limit to your galleries, without managing them, by hand. Sorry.

Rather than deleting them, you might want to consider just adding a new password, so they're not accessible.

Wish I had a different answer for you. We do have some requests for that, and would love for your vote to be counted, too. Just go here: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
    And type the words gallery expiration date to find that one. Votes and comments are welcome.

Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    botpixbotpix Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    We had the same thought... How do we put a time constraints on ordering? Then it hit us, rather than trying to lockout the potential buyer, just increase the prices. Or more appropriately, offer a discount code that will last for the limited period (this you can definitely do). Then when the time has elapsed, the prices effectively increase, thus encouraging quick ordering. And if they still want to order later, they can, paying for the privilege as well.

We've only just started using the idea, but I will definitely come back and let you know how it goes. Our fingers are crossed...

Drew
    Drew Lockwood
    ---
    www.mybotpix.com (smugmug)
    www.botpix.com (wordpress)
  • Options
    woodsphotowoodsphoto Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    In my experience, the biggest bane in selling photos is that people procrastinate to buy them. They have all the best intentions, but they just don't pull the trigger. A lot of people tell me they want to wait until the end of the (sport) season and order all at once to save on shipping. I used to wait eagerly for the end of the season for massive orders to roll in, but it only spiked marginally.

So this year, I started offering coupons. Post the gallery, offer a juicy coupon that is valid for one week. It worked really well at the beginning of this year's football season, but its effectiveness has tapered off. (Of course it doesn't help that there are a half-dozen soccer moms out there shooting and giving their pics away for free.)

I did have one gallery earlier this year that would get tons of views but very few sales. I posted a link that the gallery would expire in one week. This did produce a couple orders.

For now I'm sticking to the one-week coupons. Its the easiest way to offer an incentive to buy now instead of later, without me having to go through and change prices or accessibility. If anyone else would like to share a technique, I'm all ears.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    botpix wrote: »
    We had the same thought... How do we put a time constraints on ordering? Then it hit us, rather than trying to lockout the potential buyer, just increase the prices. Or more appropriately, offer a discount code that will last for the limited period (this you can definitely do). Then when the time has elapsed, the prices effectively increase, thus encouraging quick ordering. And if they still want to order later, they can, paying for the privilege as well.

We've only just started using the idea, but I will definitely come back and let you know how it goes. Our fingers are crossed...

Drew
    woodsphoto wrote: »
    In my experience, the biggest bane in selling photos is that people procrastinate to buy them. They have all the best intentions, but they just don't pull the trigger. A lot of people tell me they want to wait until the end of the (sport) season and order all at once to save on shipping. I used to wait eagerly for the end of the season for massive orders to roll in, but it only spiked marginally.

So this year, I started offering coupons. Post the gallery, offer a juicy coupon that is valid for one week. It worked really well at the beginning of this year's football season, but its effectiveness has tapered off. (Of course it doesn't help that there are a half-dozen soccer moms out there shooting and giving their pics away for free.)

I did have one gallery earlier this year that would get tons of views but very few sales. I posted a link that the gallery would expire in one week. This did produce a couple orders.

For now I'm sticking to the one-week coupons. Its the easiest way to offer an incentive to buy now instead of later, without me having to go through and change prices or accessibility. If anyone else would like to share a technique, I'm all ears.
    I think these are both great methods versus having a gallery closed to viewing. One of the things that I've had requests for is pictures from years ago of someone's old car. A photo that meant nothing to them at that time now means the world to them. And if you're using coupons to get the recent sales, scenerios like mine can be much more profitable. You could even increase prices by each year as you keep an archive.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    what about if you change the URL? I think there is a customization for that correct? Lindy, if I have already given the link to the customer, and after their time period runs out, I go in an set a custom URL, would the 1st link I gave them still work?
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    Stephanie,

Renaming a gallery or assigning it to a different category / subcategory, won't break the link. That's what the galleryID_key after the gallery nicename is for - it makes sure that the link keeps on working.
    To prevent access to a gallery, you could just set a password or change the password on the gallery.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    thank you for your answer. That is probably be what I will do.
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    And what you can do is put something like 'Call xxx for password' in the password hint field and that will show up when people try to access the gallery if you want them to be able to on a restricted basis.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!