Recent trip to the West Coast

RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited October 11, 2011 in Landscapes
So here are a couple of my favorite images from a recent trip. Please C&C welcome. I'm learning and reallllly want to get better at this. I shoot with an Olympus E5.

1. Bridge on a really cruddy hazy day. Converted to B&W:

P9276738-L.jpg

2. A shipwreck.

Shipwreck-L.jpg

3. Bridge in Astoria.

AstoriaBridgeFused-L.jpg

4. Haystack Rock Sunset.

P9287052-L.jpg

5. Another Angle on the rocks.

P9287044-L.jpg

Comments

• RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    Are they that bad?
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    i actually rather like the first one, considering the conditions, it came out pretty well. the wreck of the Peter Iredale is a staple for visitors to Astoria/Warrenton, but you've got the horizon tilted. the sunset at Cannon Beach just seems a bit too dark... maybe brighten it up a little so you can actually see Haystack Rock, rather than just a dark blob...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Thank you. I will play with both :). I have a heck of a time getting my photos straight :(. I have multiple shots of Cannon Beach. I shot until it was almost too dark for auto focus. First time I've ever put anything out for critique so I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.
  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I really like the last 2 shots!
  • jeremy_danieljeremy_daniel Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    If you have a hard time getting a straight horizon there is a feature in photoshop that you can use called the ruler tool, draw the ruler across the horizon and it will straighten the horizon and crop the photo.

I'm from the West Coast, and love it great things to photograph, the astoria bridge is an amazing bridge, also all the rocks coming out of the beach all along the coast is amazing. You got some good shots here. The things I'd suggest trying, is maybe on the ship wreck get looking down on it put it into a third direction, and lead the views eyes out to the ocean that way. Also the beach ones are good, but I think shots with the light from the sun being more there isn't much going on here that I would consider "amazing" the reason for this is that the sun has pretty much already died out. If you took tons of photos maybe go look at your images again. See if maybe some had some more detail with the sun setting.

I hope this is not me being to critical, I'm just offering some suggestions. I by no means think any of these photos are not good, just trying to give some constructive input for you.
    Jeremy Daniel Photography
    NANPA Member
    Student Photography Society
    Gear: Nikon D700 SB-600 18-55mm 10-20mm 70-300mm
    Wildlife * People * Landscapes * HDR
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    The first one is my favorite. Great composition and the b/w treatment is perfect.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    I'm just going to comment on the first image as it getting late and I'm tired......Love your B/W shot of the bridge, it has great atmosphere, lovely rhythm from the larger arch to the smaller arches going off into the distance. It also has a really nice conversion too. In a perfect world I may have tried to find a perspective that did not have so many branches/limbs. For me it adds a bit too much tension to the image and also hides some of the beautiful detail of the bridge. Nice work though.