Options

Canon 5 D Mk2 video problem.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited October 15, 2011 in Video
Hi All
whilst i am not sure if this is the right location for my question i shall go forward with it until it is moved. I have taken video shots with my camera on its highest settings at 25 FPS. Because this is running so slow on my old laptop can i revert to 24 FPS continue filming at this in the hope that there is some process of turning the 25FPS into 24 FPS so that i can edit my finished project with some element of hope?
Kind regards
Patrick:D

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited October 5, 2011
    I moved this to our video forum, called "Action".

It's best to stay in one frame rate if you plan to edit and combine video segments, especially with an older computer. The other problem you may run into is that if your camera is set to record at 25fps there is a good chance that you are in a PAL TV standard market, meaning that you will probably later want to convert everything back to 25fps, the PAL standard.

What software are you using for playing back the video on your laptop?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I moved this to our video forum, called "Action".

It's best to stay in one frame rate if you plan to edit and combine video segments, especially with an older computer. The other problem you may run into is that if your camera is set to record at 25fps there is a good chance that you are in a PAL TV standard market, meaning that you will probably later want to convert everything back to 25fps, the PAL standard.

What software are you using for playing back the video on your laptop?

Hi Ziggy
    ok here we go. 2 years ago i started filming a restoration of a Austin 16/6 vintage car. When i started i was using a fujifinepix 6500fd camera on 640 by 480. Now this was fine for uploading to youtube but since i got my 5d2 i just went straight to the highest quality it could get me. I tried to edit in Vegas pro 9.0 after i loaded the 25 fps footage i got. No surprise here as the video started skipping due to the age of my laptop. I thought that i could change down to 24 fps so my laptop could handle this instead. I was out filming again tonight and decided to stay on the 25 fps.
    I thought that if 24 fps was easier to work with i could change the 25 fps down to the same level.
    I dont know much about the fps and how it affects your editing but i can sure tell you with the Canon 24-70 2.8 lens every thing is sharp with vivid coulors.
    I shoot in semi dark sheds with light only comming from moveable light bulbs and garage light sticks. I stayed in Programme mode for this as io could control the exposure to a certain level.
    I hop i dont mess this up. I might buy a computer in the fufure that will be able to handle the video so i guess i will keep shooting in this mode. What do you think Ziggy.:D
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    I think that most modern computers can handle almost any frame rate, but if you want to create a video to play on a local TV set, I think that you are in a PAL region. Staying at the PAL rate of 25p is probably the safest strategy for now.

If your laptop HD is getting full, that could lead to some slower/stuttery playback. Vegas Video is pretty good stuff, so that should not be a problem.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I think that most modern computers can handle almost any frame rate, but if you want to create a video to play on a local TV set, I think that you are in a PAL region. Staying at the PAL rate of 25p is probably the safest strategy for now.

If your laptop HD is getting full, that could lead to some slower/stuttery playback. Vegas Video is pretty good stuff, so that should not be a problem.

Thankyou Ziggy.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    You might also take a look at how to do manual "proxy" editing in Vegas Video 9. Basically, you generate smaller video files, at less resolution, which represent your original video files for the purpose of editing and assembly. When you finish the project you swap in the full-resolution original video files and let Vegas re-render everything, but at full resolution. Details here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/930721

Edit: I also found a free script which promises to automate proxy video files for Vegas Video Pro 9:

http://sony.vegas.1.free.fr/VP8/Script/Proxy%20Stream%2015e.zip
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Granny GeekGranny Geek Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2011
    Patrick,
    I had been making videos using proxy editing in Corel's VideoStudio, which is similar to Vegas Video. My results were good, but it was time-consuming. When I upgraded to the Canon 7D, I felt like I was trying to run through molasses. My solution was to get a new computer. Video editing with my new computer is like getting out of jail. The point I want to make is that gamer computers are great for video editing. Because of the number of gamers insisting on these specs, they have made these computers affordable. Your time is valuable, too.
    Granny Geek
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
    Patrick,
    I had been making videos using proxy editing in Corel's VideoStudio, which is similar to Vegas Video. My results were good, but it was time-consuming. When I upgraded to the Canon 7D, I felt like I was trying to run through molasses. My solution was to get a new computer. Video editing with my new computer is like getting out of jail. The point I want to make is that gamer computers are great for video editing. Because of the number of gamers insisting on these specs, they have made these computers affordable. Your time is valuable, too.
    Granny Geek

15524779-Ti.gif I run VideoStudio X4 on an i5 - 4-core processor, with an nVidea GPU with CUDA, and the rendering speeds are very acceptable. The Corel software supports most mult-core processors and the nVidea/CUDA multicore GPUs to accelerate rendering speeds.
    ziggy53