Super Mag Help and Advise

ananthtmananthtm Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 16, 2011 in Holy Macro
(1) I have 5D Mk II, Canon 100mm macro lens (non-L version), I use the set of 3 Kenko ET's
If I stack up all 3 ET's (that makes it 68mm), I get somewhere close to 2:1 mag right?

(2) To this stacked up setup, if I attach a Canon Closeup Lens 500D on the lens, would I get even more mag?
That would make it, what 2.4x or something?

(3) What can I do to get even more mag? I saw a Lord V's flickr pic (are his photos for real? I'm so jealous of his pics, they are jaw-dropping) where he had attached a small device on the lens cap (microscope?).
What is this setup, could someone please explain?

(4) How much mag would I get if I stack up 100mm macro with 50mm f1.8 with lens reversal?

Please advise on how to achieve more mag, short of buying the MP-E 65 mm.
I've asked this in couple of facebook groups, but looks like this is closely guarded secret, no one is answering....

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    ananthtm wrote: »
    (1) I have 5D Mk II, Canon 100mm macro lens (non-L version), I use the set of 3 Kenko ET's
    If I stack up all 3 ET's (that makes it 68mm), I get somewhere close to 2:1 mag right?

(2) To this stacked up setup, if I attach a Canon Closeup Lens 500D on the lens, would I get even more mag?
    That would make it, what 2.4x or something?

(3) What can I do to get even more mag? I saw a Lord V's flickr pic (are his photos for real? I'm so jealous of his pics, they are jaw-dropping) where he had attached a small device on the lens cap (microscope?).
    What is this setup, could someone please explain?

(4) How much mag would I get if I stack up 100mm macro with 50mm f1.8 with lens reversal?

Please advise on how to achieve more mag, short of buying the MP-E 65 mm.
    I've asked this in couple of facebook groups, but looks like this is closely guarded secret, no one is answering....

Some answers

#1 correct just over 2:1 I think

#2 yes you would get a bit more but only about + 0.2 mag

#3 I do sometimes use a microscope objective attached to a body cap on the end of about 75mm of ext tubes- this is a 10X objective and does give about 10:1 mag.

#4 I think the best way to go is to use something like a reversed 50mm lens on your 100mm macro, you can then get between 2:1 and 3:1 max mag with just the reversed lens and 3:1 to 4:1 mag with the ext tubes as well.

Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 9, 2011
    you would find the mpe alot easier to use :D
    stacking too many tubes/lens together do work but with extremly short focal distance and the increased length from camera to subject makes getting diffuser close to subject more difficult.
    depends on how much magnification you really want.
    adding close up lens to 100mm makes very little difference to magnification unfortunatly.
  • ananthtmananthtm Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    Well, I tried stacking up my 50mm f1.8 on top of my 100mm macro....and it was impossible to use :-(
    I had to be almost on top of the subject, maybe 1 cm away, for anything to be in focus.

Have to try something else....
    Does adding a telephoto's front element on top of a macro lens help increase magnification? I saw a pic of LordV's setup of this in flickr.....how easy is this for focusing and minimum working distance if I add a telephoto's front element to my 100mm macro?
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    ananthtm wrote: »
    ....and it was impossible to use

not impossible , you just have to learn
    it is what you wanted ; Super Mag :D